AuthorTopic: [WIP] Avocado - Collectable fruit for platform game.  (Read 10940 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Avocado - Collectable fruit for platform game.

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 01:59:32 pm
Unfortunately I've already used my darkest green already, so I don't have much choice. I can't cheat and add colours, since this is for a real game on a real system (not Windows).

ah I was afraid of that...sorry. you could always try a grey..or maybe a brown..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 02:32:58 pm
wow, i love how you dithered that to sintethyze a orangeish colour...how did you do that?

Offline selur

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 05:08:22 pm
In Hires (640x400 and more) palette and anim fruits looks very good.
But I guess you will be using Lowres dont you ?
So if you will use lowres then this kind of dither will look badly (except on standard 14" series monitors or tv where the pixels are not sharp)
Did you think about it ?
Ofcourse we are talking about classic AMIGA platform.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 05:44:39 pm
I have been pixelling these in Personal Paint on an Amiga with a 14" screen, as well as a 69cm TV to see how it would look when playing the game through a television. While the dithering isn't as obvious as it is when zoomed in on a high resolution monitor, it is still slightly noticable, although this was partially intentional. I think the dithering adds a textured look to the skin of the fruit, and these fruit have a very rough skin. Same with the avocado, which has a black to green skin with irregular lumps all over the skin.

When I work on some smoother surfaces for other objects in the game later on, I won't use such contrasting colours in dither patterns.

And while I wait to finish some other ideas, here's an edit on the rockmelon to make it a honeydew:

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 09:30:10 am
I've decided to increase the sprite and forground colour palette of my game to 24 colours instead of 16. Originally they were going to use 16 so the backgrounds could use their own unique 16 colour palette. I changed it so the backgrounds will have 8 unique colours, and be able to use any of the foreground/sprite colours as well, bringing the game to a total of 32 colours.

So I have made an extra dark colour for the colours I already had, after people suggested getting rid of the black in the avocado. I have also started work on the main character sprites. My girlfriend asked me to make an edit of the female character to make her wear Cammy's costume (from Super Street Fighter II), and since that's the only bit of new pixel art I have on this PC at the moment, I'll upload that.

If anyone can give suggestions on how to improve the stance or anything, I value your critique and help.

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 01:04:06 pm
The one thing that pops out to me is that her eyes are crooked.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 01:06:52 pm
I'd say that's because the head is slightly tilted. I could be wrong though

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 01:27:19 pm
why that palette, it's quite horrible. what do you need 3 purples for?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 02:17:34 pm
That's right, the eyes are crooked because the head is slightly tilted, it just looked better that way when I was pixelling it.

As for the colour palette, it's all I could come up with. I guess I could make the purple shades more blue, if you'd like to have a bash and see if you can fix up the colours a bit, feel free. If you can make the palette look better, I'll use it. I do need those shades for some other sprites I'm going to make, as long as they're blueish.

Oh, and the palette is 24 colours now, not 16, and is slightly different from the old 16 colour palette I posted earlier.
This is the updated palette (0 colour is transparent, so it's really only 23).

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 05:08:50 pm
That's right, the eyes are crooked because the head is slightly tilted, it just looked better that way when I was pixelling it.
Then the bangs should be crooked too, because the way they're positioned now make her head look straight.