AuthorTopic: Chunkbot  (Read 21645 times)

Offline djork

• View Profile

Re: Chunkbot

Reply #40 on: August 17, 2006, 02:35:19 pm
Wow, I absolutely love it!  Is there a hint of Heavy Gear in there by chance?  I must say that it's very reminiscent of Virtua On, and would make a great action game model.  As for the pixel-on-polys debate: I love the style, so does the original author, so do other people.  It's a question of taste at this point.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 02:44:21 pm

Tinygiant: Found your trolls thing the other day... one of my buddies at work started a thread here on internal mail called "Kitty" which started based on that kitty hawk game/demo/whaever it is... did it ever get finsihed?

heh, not yet but it will be, I've done loads of GFX for it, programmer that I usually work with is currently in the process of moving house, once thats done he'll be back onto it. In fact this topic got me thinking about using simple 3D low poly backgrounds and bosses in Kitty Hawk

NOOOOOO!!!!! Don't do it... !!!! Keep it Pure, Keep it Simple... You'll live to regret it... 3D is the Dark Side... Be tempted by it not you will only find pain... it's like a packet of pringles once you start you won't stop and then you'll end up doing work that 99.9% of the graphic art community do with no flavour or style or substance or SOUL... you'll be sucked into the 'realism' vortex and they'll be no escape... unless your mind is strong only then may you pass into the 3D realm... but be warned - many have tried and many have been lost to 'Realism' vortex... before you know it you'll be steeped in meshes and skinning and rigging and Materials and color maps and height maps and displacement filters and HDR settings and bloom factors and sub surface scattering and no... I can't go on I'm weak... the dark side drains your soul...

Ptoing knows what I speak... he has seen the vortex with his own eyes and it scared him so much he escaped and ran as far away as he could... back to the 80's it's true... some may say too far.. but he know's where it's at and 3D isn't it... not until the Realism Vortex has been vanquished... which may be soon... and once it's gone then and only then will it safe to enter the 3D realm... knowing that style and substance can win over mimicking reality...

Keep it pure... Keep it simple... Heed my warning.

;)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 02:57:50 pm
No offense baccaman but that just sounds like a copout.  There is a widespread problem of realism being the only acceptable style, especially in a lot of american and european studios, but if you don't like it then don't do it!  I've turned down a lot of big studio jobs to keep pursuing my dream of Doing Whatever I Please and in a couple weeks I'm resigning from my grunt programmer job in order to do just that!  If you don't like what people are doing then do your own thing and do it well, that is the only way to make a difference.

And unless people do start making a difference, realism will NEVER be marginalized, and the bulk of video games will continue to be disappointing and pedestrian!

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 03:16:19 pm
no offense taken adam... my posts are meant to be tongue in cheek anyway. :D

...and yes I am doing my own thing as of november I'll be taking a well earned break from the industry and going to find myself by travelling the world for a year or so... hopefully I'll find my mojo again and return recharged and ready to rock!

17+ years making video games will make you cynical and jaded... I only wish I had some of the enthusiasm I had when I began and what a lot of you people here demonstrate which is why I lurk around here to see work others are doing and generally speaking, it keeps me sane... so thanks for that - it certainly makes a refreshing change and I do genuinly enjoy witnessing peoples skills improve etc etc...

I love this place... I've been away for a while but it's nice to be back... :D

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #44 on: August 17, 2006, 03:33:36 pm
awesome!  and 17 years is amazing, most of the guys i know only made it 3 or 4 years before they not only quit the industry they completely stopped playing games :P  if your travels take you to austin you should let me know!

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #45 on: August 17, 2006, 03:37:12 pm
...as in Texas? Well i'm passing through SW US on my way to central America... was mulling over the idea of heading to El Paso and over into Mexico that way but I think we'll prolly head straight south into Tijuana and down the Baja then cross over to East coast to do some diving in the Gulf... But this is now seriously off topic so I won't rabbit on anymore... thnx for the invite tho... :)

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline djork

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: August 17, 2006, 03:37:44 pm
awesome!  and 17 years is amazing, most of the guys i know only made it 3 or 4 years before they not only quit the industry they completely stopped playing games :P

Phew.  That makes me wonder if I should ever bother going pro with my game programming...?

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #47 on: August 17, 2006, 03:43:55 pm
awesome!  and 17 years is amazing, most of the guys i know only made it 3 or 4 years before they not only quit the industry they completely stopped playing games :P

Phew.  That makes me wonder if I should ever bother going pro with my game programming...?

I'd never dissuade anyone from entering the industry... I've had some great times and made some good friends - it's just not like what it used to be... too corporate these days for my liking... but then that's perhaps the path I've taken. I'd say go for it but do so with your eyes open it's not as glamorous as people think... as with most things I guess... give it a whirl though... you never know you may be the next John Carmack...?

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline djork

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: August 17, 2006, 04:15:23 pm
you never know you may be the next John Carmack...?

Kind and inspiring words, for sure, but I think I've derailed this topic now.  :)

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #49 on: August 17, 2006, 04:31:15 pm
you never know you may be the next John Carmack...?

Kind and inspiring words, for sure, but I think I've derailed this topic now.  :)

lol... I think I managed that a few posts ago...
:)

www.burnzombieburn.com