AuthorTopic: Hello :)  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Hyprocyon

• View Profile

Hello :)

on: May 26, 2008, 03:55:44 am
This seems like a great community.  I took a moment to go through your rules, faq and read some other topics before posting but wanted to introduce myself and say, "Hello!"  I'm currently absorbing as much information as I can from tutorials that I found in your "Tools, Resources and Linkage" post as well as others that I found through Google (I love Google).  Anyway, I decided to try my hand at a simple volume study tonight.  I would LOVE C+C's as I'm trying to learn as much as possible.  I think the dithering/shading on the cone is wonky but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it.  The other one that really concerned me was the pyramid (couldn't escape the flat feeling.)

Here is the image that I was working on this evening:

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Hello :)

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:05:00 am
You really shouldn't dither cones or spheres, since they're both genreally smooth surfaces, and dithering usually represents rough surfaces. I wouldn't use white lines as the corners for that cube and pyramid. The other colors are so much darker, you should probably just use a brighter shade of red.

Other than that, there isn't too much else to comment on.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:24:00 pm
I agree with brod's point about the white lines. About the dithering on the cone, you should treat a dither just like an extra colour. You could fix it by making the dithering wider at the bottom and thinner at the top. Additionally, since the tip is a point, the different shades should meet right at the top (you have them meeting a few pixels down and to the left).

Offline Hyprocyon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:01:31 pm
Thanks for the replies!  I've taken your suggestions into account on the image.  I've darked the reds out a bit more so I could use base red in place of the white.  I've included what little palette I used.  I stepped everything down in even increments from the lightest to almost black.  I'm not sure yet on how best to pull the colors from lightest to darkest.

Here is the new image:

*Removed dithering on sphere and cone.
*Changed highlight line to red.
*Improved coloration on cone to go closer to the apex.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:55:39 pm

Threw up the contrast, rendered more realistically. Always have references, never assume. The lighting is a little exxagerated, but at this resolution in pixelart readability comes first.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Hyprocyon

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:10:12 pm
Thanks for the reply Godslayer.  As a question, were you meaning that my lighting was exaggerated or yours ??? 

I'm just trying to make sure so that I can absorb everything that you're trying to help me see. 

I didn't use a reference for my volumes (as is apparently obvious :)).  I'll try to use a reference from now on to improve the quality of my work.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:51:16 pm
I was refering to my edit. Using references is always a great idea, even if what you're drawing isnt real. Drawing from your mind comes after.

Also, you're welcome.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:54:52 pm by Godslayer »
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?