AuthorTopic: [WIP] Alien Battlefield Scene  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

[WIP] Alien Battlefield Scene

on: February 06, 2007, 05:27:06 pm
Not to grotesque, kept it small. Here it is:
Newest:
Mirre already pointed out to me that it might have some perspective problems, but I have no idea how to fix em.
Go easy on me, this is probably one of my first scenes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:18:12 pm by Opacus »

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Re: Alien Battlefield Scene

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 07:47:45 pm
Individually, the bodily segments seem to be pillow-shaded, and there is maybe too little contrast.
Then again, how should I know.
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:05:23 pm
Update:

Fixes the pillowing?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:07:22 pm by Opacus »

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:08:02 pm
It looks really good,though I do agree about the pillow shading,it seems to have been fixed...keep up the good work!
-CK-

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:09:04 pm
It looks really good,though I do agree about the pillow shading,it seems to have been fixed...keep up the good work!
-CK-
Yeah, sorry about that, I kinda screwed up there :P
This one should be the correct one.
Thanks.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:28:01 pm
the scene doesnt read clearly, not even enough for me to tell or suggest how to fix it. maybe im just retarded.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:31:22 pm
the scene doesnt read clearly, not even enough for me to tell or suggest how to fix it. maybe im just retarded.
I can understand that, it's in very early stages. But Mirre pointed out something about the perspective bugs her,
and that would be alot of work to correct later on.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Alien Battlefield Scene

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:30:50 pm
The monster looks really puffy, especially in the tentacle thing that's impaling the man. It's because you go from the highlight all the way down to the darkest dark in a sort of radial gradient. It's looking too much like pillow shading stemming from a single point, the highlights, and just going in the pattern of the shape being filled.

This is going to sound confusing, probably, but the back leg of the shaded monster, on the viewer's right side, it looks like it's stemming from a bump in the head, rather than the thorax because of how the head on that side is shaded. Which makes that same leg look like it's in front of the leg that's actually closer to the front of the creature, but the viewer knows that leg is suppose to be behind it, so it's become a sort of optical illusion because of how that highlighted area on the head and that leg line up.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:48:53 pm
The monster looks really puffy, especially in the tentacle thing that's impaling the man. It's because you go from the highlight all the way down to the darkest dark in a sort of radial gradient. It's looking too much like pillow shading stemming from a single point, the highlights, and just going in the pattern of the shape being filled.

This is going to sound confusing, probably, but the back leg of the shaded monster, on the viewer's right side, it looks like it's stemming from a bump in the head, rather than the thorax because of how the head on that side is shaded. Which makes that same leg look like it's in front of the leg that's actually closer to the front of the creature, but the viewer knows that leg is suppose to be behind it, so it's become a sort of optical illusion because of how that highlighted area on the head and that leg line up.
Good critique, Blick. I will see to it these errors get fixed. I think the colours are fine like this, but I will completely re-do the rest. And could you perhaps make a quick edit of the leg, Blick? Because I do indeed not entirely understand what you are saying.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:06:03 pm

Looks like by separating the top line of the leg from a tangent with the gaster (I'm going with comparing this to ant anatomy to make what I say clearer), making sure it's darker than the forelegs, and making it apparent that the head is overlapping the legs, should fix it.