AuthorTopic: [WIP] Trioculi  (Read 24901 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Trioculi

Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 02:09:46 am
Great piece.

For the monster on the right i think the eyes should only be reflected close to the beach because thats what i saw one night with the moon's reflection.

It'd be good if someone found some ref pics for lights reflecting on water with ripples (note: if its not flat then can't simply apply law of reflection).
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 04:57:27 am
Actually, you shouldn't see any eye reflections at all from the one on the right. The reflection of the monster is physically going to be a vertical flip from the base of the monster... which would make the eye reflections way out of the canvas.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 08:30:04 am
Looks awesome, but I have to agree with Dusty the light would be somewhere around that area and we have to remember the fog and all for the 2nd monster..
Before I went to bed hours ago,  I tested this  with 2 candles + some water outside the house to satisfy my curiosity. it sounds geeky :-[ Specially with a tenant fortunately seeing me with a weird look on her face.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 08:58:27 am
@dusty: it can make sense to have reflects of the eye's light in the water since you've got waves. What you shown is the reflection on a still, horizontal water plane, but waves change reflections, distording the mirrored image, and can send you rays of lights that you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 11:30:54 am
Yup, those kind of reflections are absolutely possible on any surface that isn't perfectly still. From my experience reflected light almost always ends up looking like a somewhat scattered beam, on lakes and such, because of the water's surface being uneven enough to reflect the light in virtually every direction at the same time. Like this.

But this also depends on how sunken in the thing's eyes are. It looks to me like the light wouldn't reach the water because it's hitting the... strands, or whatever, surrounding the eyes. So, I don't think there should be a reflection, but not for the reason Dusty stated.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 12:28:42 pm
okay ... so if they're deep in the trioculus, they're behaving like a car's lights rather than like Sun, sending a directed beam of light rather than glowing equally in all directions.

Artistically speaking, i'd opt for reflections but maybe that would go against the freakiness of the scene (i'm more into fairy tales feary tales, so i'm the wrong guy to judge ^^")

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:30 pm
I would agree rox, but we have to take account that monster is quite close to the shore and the perspective that arachne used. I got this picture from google Flooded Piazza San Marco, the only missing is the waves. hmm

I wonder changing one of the light hole's angle downwards, towards their prey would make more sense  :). Since the reflected light makes the picture better.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:10:07 pm by Froli »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 04:24:47 pm
Froli, the image you've chosen actually proves pype and rox's points about reflections on a perturbed reflective surface; you've simply chosen to ignore that? Sure, Dusty would be correct if the surface of the water was perfectly still, but that would make no sense at all, considering, among other things, there are large creatures moving in it.

Arachne:

Quote from: ndchristie on August 24, 2008, 03:46:31 AM
as far as the glow goes, what is fog other than water in air?  the lights should color the fog a bit where they have a path to reflect it.
True, it's all water, but a cloud of miniscule droplets reflects light differently from a solid body of water.

Yes, it does (well, it'll refract, in this case). Which backs up ndchristie's point that the lights should light up the fog some. That much fog would result in a noticeable halo effect around point lights.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 05:36:18 pm
Sorry if I wasn't clear but I still have some doubts if that kind of light source and perspective that close would create the same effect. If that area that girl running to is still a "perturbed reflective surface" then the light can reach up to the monster. But it's land and grass would it be still the same?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 05:47:37 pm
Ya, I can't say I understand the physics of lights reflecting off a wavy surface. I guess it is true though... perhaps someone can enlighten as to how a reflected light can be distorted so much? I don't think it has anything to do with waves, as even lights from car headlights on a rainy day can distort just like that(off of the thin layer of water off the road, which is pretty still).

I still don't think the reflections fit for the one on the right. They would be substantially more distorted than the one on the left, and it just looks odd when you don't see the whole reflection, or at least, the 'source' of it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:58:17 pm by Dusty »