AuthorTopic: CD thing  (Read 5625 times)

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

CD thing

on: September 27, 2006, 07:58:14 pm
this is an older piece that i had laying around on my computer (and it's my avatar), and i wanted to improve it some, so i decided to post it here for some advice. this was also one of my first attempts at AAing, so i know it doesn't look that great. any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Re: CD thing

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 10:21:04 pm

Here's an edit, with just a few things that stuck out to me. Also I removed all the AA. If you know Sticky (maybe check pixel joint) is a master of skipping the AA and making great pieces anyway, the little AA was a bit pointless, so, just cut it out. It's only really important if your not dithering or the piece is really small.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:31:29 pm
I think the original is actually better than the edit here.  I like the new spec highlight on the edited hat, but the edited CD now looks like a puffy silver donut instead of a CD.  I like the original pretty well, I'm just not sure what it's supposed to be.  Is it like wearing a hat or something?

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 10:40:05 pm
I think the original is actually better than the edit here.  I like the new spec highlight on the edited hat, but the edited CD now looks like a puffy silver donut instead of a CD.  I like the original pretty well, I'm just not sure what it's supposed to be.  Is it like wearing a hat or something?
yeah, it's supposed to be a CD with a hat. i got nicknamed CD on another forum (i have a different account name) and i always sprite my character with a hat so i just combined the two
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:41:46 pm by 1up »

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 11:13:42 pm
Oh, dumb me... I though it was some dude in a black beanie (will redo the edit).

EDIT: Heres two, one has a brighter white highlight, and one without.

Also, added AA and some dither to give you an idea what it would be like.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:42:58 pm by Takai Soyokaze »

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 11:41:19 pm
Oh, dumb me... I though it was some dude in a black beanie (will redo the edit).

EDIT: Heres two, one has a brighter white highlight, and one without.

okay, i'll update.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 12:02:50 am
I must say another cool thing about it is that it looks like an eye, the hat being the eyelid. Along with what Takai said, you're not really using the AA very effectively, so it's probably better to take it out entirely and save on the colours, or find an AA tutorial (of which there's loads around) and have a practice with that.

I think the shiney edit to the CD is a good idea. Can't say i think the dithering is a good idea though. Another thing which may help it look more like a CD could possibly be the inner ring part (not sure what it's called) which i can't notice on yours.

Neway, good luck, tis a cool design.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 12:04:56 am
I didn't care for the dithering either, but the little AA I did on the CD is fine, plus I didn't need extra colors.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 12:25:27 am
well, i used your pallete for this version Takai. i think it looks better now. i took out the AAing

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 12:44:34 am
Actually it does look better, and it is your palette, I didn't add anything (cept change the darker area to black, and that's hardly notable)