AuthorTopic: Having a try at outlineless sprite  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Enichan

• Rawr n__n
    • View Profile

Having a try at outlineless sprite

on: September 22, 2006, 10:30:37 pm
I'm still trying to figure out a style so this experimentation is doing me good. I actually quite like this style, might stick with it!

Still:

Idle anim:

This, however, instead of taking about an hour and 15 minutes, took me the better part of the evening to put together.

Progress GIF:

After that I just cut out the several parts of the body, put on seperate layers, named, and shuffled. Sure it's cheap, but it works.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Having a try at outlineless sprite

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 11:24:19 pm
I don't think it works as much as you would hope, Enichan.

Her front leg slides as though she was on ice. Keep it constant.
    Her thigh jerks out of its socket momentarily.
    None of the folds of her outfit move with her.
    The sword grows in length, as the tip stays in a constant position whilst the hilt moves much farther away.
    Her hair seems to be artificial, as it hardly moves at all, like the clothing.
    I don't understand what shes doing? Why is she bouncing like that?

On the still:
    However easy having a sword at a flat angle like that is, its rather unsatisfying, it'd look much better at a nice dynamic angle.
    Her head is directly over her front foot. Its unnatural that her hair would stay hovering over her back like it is. Gravity takes the path of least resistance, obviously, and her hair would fall straight down beneath her head.
    Her legs appear to be on the same plane, like Egyptian hieroglyphics. Darkening the foreleg a bit will throw in a good pinch of dimension.

Good job escaping the colred outline. ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 12:44:52 am by Godslayer »
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Having a try at outlineless sprite

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 12:39:07 am
godslayer pointed out most of the issues with the pose and animation, so i wont go into those, but i will say that the coloring style is quite nice and that you shoudl definately use it more in the future
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.