AuthorTopic: Crap, hey but I am a newb  (Read 7023 times)

Offline future_man

• View Profile

Re: Crap, hey but I am a newb

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:22 pm
Hi. I shrunk it down a bit to make an edit, just because it is easier to work with.

I'm not great with this sort of thing, but I tried to make the colors less saturated and establish some depth. I felt water would have some reflections and in general shapes could be defined more with shading.

The details can come after you have a nice structural underpinning. And objects would become less detailed as they recede into the distance.

wow that is amazing, you are a real gentleman Parkerbaby. I have a question though it's also for PypeBros...

About the details, can you give an example how and what details should I start adding after I make my composition to give the piece that pixel art feel?

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 07:58:37 pm
Currently the size you've been working with makes it difficult for you to pay as much attention to the pixel level as might be necessary. It would take a lot of work.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299 is a tutorial by Cure that can help explain pixel level detail.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:50 pm
wow that is amazing, you are a real gentleman Parkerbaby. I have a question though it's also for PypeBros...

About the details, can you give an example how and what details should I start adding after I make my composition to give the piece that pixel art feel?

I'd check http://jnkboy.deviantart.com/art/Brave-Guy-vs-Drill-Crue-176591560 and http://jnkboy.deviantart.com/art/Yet-another-RPG-battle-175417394 a second look for that.

It needs details, but they work better when stylized, preferably in clusters that work well. It's not the only approach, for granted, but it should open your eyes to the fact that large area of identical colour can work well, and that you needn't to detail every leaf or every single grass blade to get something that works well.

Offline future_man

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:57 pm
So I need to start trimming and editing those spots Parkerbaby prepared for me? Simply put

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:32:14 am
So I need to start trimming and editing those spots Parkerbaby prepared for me? Simply put
Just take good note that edits are things you're shown to progress, not things that you're given to use. That should be explained in more details in the RULES/FAQ. You're strongly suggested to use them as reference, study them, compare, etc. but painting over will usually result in frowns and blames and remarks about one's self-progress.

Offline future_man

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 02:17:12 pm
Just take good note that edits are things you're shown to progress, not things that you're given to use. That should be explained in more details in the RULES/FAQ. You're strongly suggested to use them as reference, study them, compare, etc. but painting over will usually result in frowns and blames and remarks about one's self-progress.

I am aware of that, however the question still remains. It was more rhetoric anyway, I could ask it differently if you wish. How do you continue from the scene mockup? Do you just model the pixels or do you draw details and add them. Can someone provide an example based on my particular image?

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 02:22:58 pm

you start with something rough, not really detailled, then you add colors during the process, with every step you refine your image more and more.

older image which shows how it could look like:

If you are working on a complete scene and you don't have already established a style it could get hard, since you don't have the exact idea how your style works/will look like).

it's always the question what you want to achieve.

simple (stylistic) <---------------------------------------> complex (realistic)

(Zelda: a link to the past)                              (Chrono Trigger)
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline future_man

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 03:41:56 pm
Thanks this gif image is great! It will serve as a nice example