AuthorTopic: [WIP] Clouds with moon  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Roach

• View Profile

[WIP] Clouds with moon

on: December 30, 2015, 05:16:57 am
A while back I started working on these clouds, but was having difficulty with the light source and how I felt the perspective should be. It frustrated me a bit, so I decided to put it off for a bit and come back to it.  I've changed my mind on some things and I decided to add a moon to the clouds. Not really sure what my next step is as I've never drawn a moon before.. I think the clouds need to be changed in tone now, as well as more of a glow in the sky from the moon. I am not sure how to achieve these, but I will play around until I get something.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Clouds with moon

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 05:50:58 pm
this reference should help!!

try to do the colors like above

oh and dont get frustrated.  You gotta have fun with it.  Youd be surprised how it can suddenly click. dont let yourself run away from that moment
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:53:58 pm by Friend »

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 02:32:00 am
I tried changing to colors to match more of the picture you sent me.

It looks kind of off to me still I feel like there's no depth to it at all, and the colors dont blend well.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 03:22:32 am
if youre struggling visualizing it, try reducing the size of a reference down to pixel art size.  this will give you an idea of what it would look like if you pixeled by hand.  though if you do reduce it, note that it has to be significantly retouched to be considered pixel art.  generally you should only reduce it to get ideas, then do it yourself manually.

I showed what the ref looks like reduced.  then introduced color i might add, because it is good to have contrasting hues in pixel art because your palette is small.  the  3rd example is an idea if you were to get artsy fartsy with the colors.  Note that none o the 3 below examples are pixel art.  Just an idea of what the ref might look like if it were like 50% done

Your pixel technique is lacking currently.  I suggest working at a much smaller size to learn proper pixel control.  I also suggest an easier thing to create, as a moon and clouds is really really hard unless you go with a very simple style

Offline OllieTheMagicBum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 04:24:31 am
I think that looks really cool man. It reminds me of Castlevania for some reason.

I wish I could provide better feedback, but from where I'm standing, I say you did a great job man.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 06:27:55 am
@Friend: What would you suggest that is easier to create? And I agree, I lack a lot of technique, I hope to improve.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 05:36:34 pm
@Friend: What would you suggest that is easier to create? And I agree, I lack a lot of technique, I hope to improve.

well I mean you could do anything, but I only suggested something different so you can focus on technique without becoming too frustrated.  I think really small portraits are always a good choice to focus on pixeling.  something like a Christoballs size portrait:

simple sprites are good too

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:41:06 pm by Friend »