AuthorTopic: MMA Fighters pixelized  (Read 2728 times)

Offline smoogy

• View Profile

MMA Fighters pixelized

on: April 05, 2008, 07:22:40 am
Hello all, I'm a long-time pixel dabbler and I recently decided to get back in the practice, so I was happy to see the old Pixelation forums didn't die after all as I had thought. I'm not really sure if I'm going to do anything with these, but since I'm a big MMA fan I've been practicing by trying to capture some of the better known fighters in pixel form. I decided to use a "scale" of 64x64 pixels so they'd look right if matched up against each other. I consider them pretty much done except for the last one (Penn), but any insight on using anti-aliasing or whatever would welcome.

Lyoto Machida:

Tito Ortiz:

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

B.J. Penn

And here is a belt I made for the forum I post at:

P.S. I'm not really a stickler for color conservation, I've never had a use for it.

I'm not the best critique guy but I will try to contribute to this place, I remember learning a lot from some of the people here

yosh64

Re: MMA Fighters pixelized

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 08:44:43 am
hey

Nice work, but it looks a little flat and and pillowy to me :\.

Hmm, I think the shading looks a little busy and the lighting not very well defined, or maybe you could say there is too much ambient light, hehe. I also think the palette can be greatly enhanced, but yea quite a nice start here :).

But yea, they look to have nice character and such, although I've never heard of MMA :\.

Anyhows I will leave it at that for now.

edit

Here is a quick edit, it's not very good but hopefully it gives ya some ideas. I tried to better define the lighting, and while doing this I noticed the number of colors could be reduced quite a bit ;). Hmm, I still might work on it some more.

Also, I found the hands and such to blend in to much with the body and such.

another edit

Yea, just continued on my edit. Basically I further refined everything, reduced the number of colors and changed the palette a bit.

Hmm, looking back the lighting may not be all that bad if that is the sorta style ya going for, but this is a tough call so I dunno. But yea, I think you need to reduce the colors and simplify some things or something, as it looks much too busy to me. Ohh, and also work on the palette, as the colors just don't have that sorta flare or whatever that a good palette has :).

cya
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:05:46 am by yosh64 »

Offline smoogy

• View Profile

Re: MMA Fighters pixelized

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:34 pm
Thanks for the insight. I guess I could've provided a little more information... they're meant to be put in a "cage" background that has lots of lighting and a light colored mat, and I'm aiming for a more realisitc color palette, so the shadows are meant to be pretty soft. Also, these are typically going to be displayed at 2:1 or 3:1, so I'm allowed a little liberty when it comes to making the details work. I do like some of the simplifications you made though, particularly his right forearm, left glove and the plane of shadow on the side of the head. Machida has a very unique stance being a Shotokan Karate practicioner, I'm a big fan of his in particular so I spent a good amount of time perfecting the stance.

Hope this doesn't sound like "criticism resistance", I appreciate the tips