AuthorTopic: Awesomesaurous [WIP]  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Awesomesaurous [WIP]

on: August 23, 2010, 04:03:27 am
Been working on a portrait of a t rex , but i cant get his dino-sized neck to look right. any ideas?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Awesomesaurous [WIP]

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:11:58 pm
Hi there Demon   ;D, I made an edit of your dinosaur:

First off I want to say sorry for the extreme edit, I wen't completely overboard with it  :ouch:

But now to the crits! :D
You are already showing forms and shapes with light, which is good, and something many beginners don't!
Your colors are a bit of an eyesore though and the red and green contrast eachother harshly. Don't worry though, colorpicking is some think that comes naturally after a while of doing pixelart but for now you can maybe take some time and think and try to analyze why I chose colors as I did.
About the colors I also cut them down from 17(exluding the bg) to 15, and recylced som colors between elements, I think this helps the overall piece come together, it makes the picture seem like a whole, it can also be a fun challenge.
Right now the different elements seem very seperated from eachother, other than the colors one factor causing this is the outlining, any reason why the theeth aren't outlined? if the rest of it is they should be too!

There is also some banding and pillowshading (see the edit for example) you can read all about Banding here:http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8110.msg92434#msg92434

What I've done other than those edits are Just plain rendering and AA, I tried to add a scale texture with varying succes.

I suspect you already have a reference why not post it here? It will help us help you :D, and if you don't I suggest you get some asap!
your pic reminded me about this pic: http://media.photobucket.com/image/Carnivore%20support%20group/CaliginousKnight13/carnivore-support-group.jpg
Maybe this is your ref? :huh:

Anyway i do hope you take some of the points I've brougth up to heart and I look forward to you updates of this awesome guy! :y:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:17:31 pm by Reo »

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:51:36 pm
Wowie Reo .. Thats the worst thing I have ever seen  :huh: .. what is it?   Jay kay!! ITS FUCKIN AWESOME THATS WHAT IT IS!!! :y: :y: :D It's so awesome! I can't wait till im able to pixel like that :]]] ! Thanks for your edit and crits :D  Very helpful Im working on it now. ill post up in a bit. Also I think thats a scaled down picture of the ref image, good eye  ;) http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAe3UcTUnz7rtvPEqbFLrCXpui3P9PYIqqd4pe7Kum2ZSvqhs&t=1&usg=__EbECU04RF-MgjofCVjLl2DssdVo=
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:04:12 pm by Demon11777 »
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:06:34 am
Been working on it a bit, BY NO MEANS IS IT FINISHED  :o

Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:42:39 am
okay, I touched up the dino a bit and started a very plain scenery. The idea was to have a guy hanging onto a branch just out of the T-rex's reach. maybe a volcano in the background. :P

Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:49:38 am
update.Still trying to fix up the t re but started up the background

Uploaded with ImageShack.us any c+c?
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:04:23 am
The perspective on the rocks looks more like a wall behind him instead of ground. Look at some perspective images on Google for reference. Honestly though, I think you should still work on the rex some more. It's better, but could still be improved. The colors are still too saturated and the red clashes too harshly from the green.

Looking at the colors Reo used in his edit might help you choose better colors.