AuthorTopic: [WIP] Avocado - Collectable fruit for platform game.  (Read 10951 times)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: [WIP] Avocado - Collectable fruit for platform game.

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 05:47:20 pm
I think her build is too stocky, and that makes her look child-like since she also has a very big head. She needs longer legs and a leaner figure. Her ponytail looks flat, and the solid, dark outline combined with the AA makes it look blurry. I'd start over with something more like this:

Quick and messy, but you get the idea.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 09:49:13 pm
I fixed the eyes and the fringe, you guys were right about the left eye being too high. I've changed the purple shades to blue as well, but I'll have to go back and fix up the background blocks that were using the purple shades. I guess I used those particular colours because they mixed well with the greyish shades.

In any case, this is how the character is looking at the moment. The game will feature a boy and a girl character collecting fruit and killing nasties, similar to Tumble Pop or Diet Go Go in the arcades, although it won't be a ripoff of those games. Also, the characters will be able to collect different costumes in the game, which each has a different weapon, so this default look will change pretty quicky through the game anyway. What I would like to do is somehow make the skirt look more like a skirt and less like bike pants, if anyone can suggest something.

As for her build, the look I was going for is what is called "Super Deformed" which is a common Japanese art style. It makes an adult or teen character look short and cute by making the head larger and the body more stocky. Arachne, while your sprite looks nice and 3D, the softer, cuter look that I'm using is intentional. Also, the character won't be wearing the same costume as Cammy in our game, so any work I do on my sprites won't be on that model. Also, all the sprites and foreground blocks in this game have to have a dark outline around them,so I've gone for the darkest shades rather than black, which looks too contrasting on the backgrounds.

This is an example of Japanese Super Deformed artwork - http://www.bythegoddess.com/images/fanart/cammy-pinup.jpg - It's Cammy from SSFII (my girlfriend's favourite character, which is why I drew a Cammy costume on the sprite in the first place).

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 10:27:34 pm
The proportions of the Cammy in your example matches mine almost to a tee, while yours has a much larger head and shorter legs. ???

Edit: I'll clarify; the problem isn't the style itself, but the short legs and large torso. The distance between the top of the head and the crotch and the feet and the crotch should be the same regardless.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 11:05:00 pm by Arachne »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 11:54:04 pm
I don't see what the problem is with the proportions of his sprite.
Sure they aren't realistic, but they weren't intended to be either.
Are the countless number of games that use the same style wrong too?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 12:06:36 am
I just thought it was odd that he'd post an example that proved my point. I'm just throwing in my two cents, wrong as I may be. :)

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 08:19:05 am
I wasn't trying to argue your point, just explaining my reasons for the odd proportions on my character. Now that I look at it, that picture wasn't the best example of SD art, but the head size can range from normal to gigantic, I just chose to go half way in between.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 01:01:25 pm
Just another quick update, here's a screenshot of the game as it is at the moment, there isn't much more than what you can see here at the moment, but there will be when it's finished. We will need a nicely pixelled background behind the foreground and sprites there instead of that purple gradient too.

If anyone wants to help out or suggest something, go for it.

Thanks.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 04:05:01 pm
From a game design point of view I'd would like the stories/steps to be higher. Right now she doesn't even fit under one the steps. If they won't block her movement I guess it's ok but I'd still like it to be 1/3 higher than it is now.

The gradient most go as you said.

Also I'd make the steps less blocky, and hm... perhaps grass on dirt has been done enough times now. Try something more inspired.

The panda does not need that much ditering, but neither does the fruits.

If this is a game where you play one screen at a time I'd try and make the design less blocky over all.

The HUD on the top of the screen could blend into the game area, perhaps you should make the black parts transparent.

Looking forward to see your next mockup.