AuthorTopic: nana nana nana nana nana nana nana nana masked man! masked man  (Read 6235 times)

Offline artisan

• View Profile
... no this has nothing to do with batman although i just saw the new movie in the imax and it was sehr gut!...

taking a break from being very annoyed at tiles im going to be working on this in between fighting "the grid"
anyways im making this masked guy here are the lines for the moment anything i need to do before i add teh colour?

EDIT:

so a major edit here.... but ehm i dont have a clue whats going on with the shadeing on the suit.. im happy with the mask but the suits seems all over the place.... help anyone  :-[
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:39:47 am by artisan »
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile
This guy oozes character, which is awesome.
As the lighting...i can spot a number of things that could probably be improved.

Maybe it's just my untrained eye speaking, but it seems like the main problem is the brightest shade of blue seems to bright, and makes it look like he's wearing a latex outfit. which, considering the mask, is ten kinds of creepy. Try darkening it and see if it makes it look more like fabric, rather than plastic.

Also on his gut, the shading is probaly rather uneccesary, as his head would probably be blocking the light from where the shine on the mask would indicate it is coming from.
On the wrist cuffs, the lighting seems almost backwards, like the light is coming from his ear
The undershirt should probably also be darker considering the head obstruction, and probably needn't have so many shades going on in it.

There's a few more things, but i can't really put my finer on it, so i'll leave the rest to someone with more experience and knowhow than myself.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
wow, I really love that naked sketch...you should make a naked version as well!

it really shows you are a great artist, but you dont have any clue how to do folds.

Basically it goes like this.

1 -Know the shapes of the clothing articles, what bends and what doesnt, what's tight and what's loose.

2 -imagine the body moving inside that structure, and use lines to show how the body disorts that basic shape.

Imagine the guy standing in the most formal way, and what parts of the suit would be tight, what would be making folds.

Once you have the hang of that,  imagine what would happen when he goes into his current pose.

You can use some of the lines you already have in your figure, for example the line you used to imply the scrotum could very well be a fold in the pants.

Suit shoulders usually have shoulderpads inside, so the shoulders should be stiff as if he was still with his arms hanging down, only right beneath the shoulders should be wrinkles showing the vast difference between the suit's-shoulders, and the current arm position.

Suits usually have a stiff chest as well, that tends to give the sense that guys have more chest muscle than they do, but in this pose it would actually sag down. the way he's bending would also create a crease at his stomach. it would be nice to show the lower part of his...jacket hanging a little above where it should, since the shoulders dragged the whole jacket up

and for the love of god have fun with that TIE! it's the most suggestively phallic piece of clothing I can think of and you have a guy in a suit dancing tribally...SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!

with the elbows and the knees, think how the suit is creaceless when they are vertical, but once you bend it, the part bending inwards gets collapsed on itself and creates creaces.

Also, when there's something sticking out, it makes the clothe around it hang down, and this creates a bunch of lines of tension pointing towards whatever sticks out. You could do this with the knee to our right, but in the particular edit I made it seemed like a bit too much.

http://emugif.fcmgame.com/
Study recent "King of Fighters" sprites, they are really good at simplifying what goes on with folds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPAGU3o5idM
Maybe the kid's story and matrix agent clips in general would be good refference too...because of all the suits doing unruly movements.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:28:49 am by Conceit »

Offline artisan

• View Profile
hey, thanks a load for the crits really helped...

i am much happier with the shadeing and the suit now, i need to work on the hands a bit then im going to move onto the background before i polish it all up...

anything else you can see i need to fix anyone?

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile
I'd lower the brightness of the lightest shade of blue used on the suit a bit, just to make it blend  a bit better. A stylistic nit-pick really. I love where this is going, and look forward to it's finish. ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
you're still not using the suit to the full potential. You have roughly applied some of the principles in my edit but you do not understand the logic behind it.

Any given character has things that he moves by will, such as his own limbs, and others which move outside his will, such as clothing, hair..etc. Those things that he doesnt move willingly serve to expand the reality of the picture, by giving a hint of what the character was doing BEFORE he was depicted.

Point in case, your sleeves. The sleeves are magically floating in the air. sleeves are NOT rigid, they do not support themselves in the air. it's not impossible for sleeves to hang above his arms, but for this to happen something would have to be PULLING them down, this is not what you show, the sleeves are loose and round, they should show tension if the arms were pulling them down.

Look at the tie, see how it's hanging perfectly straight? that implies that he's holding the pose. The pose does NOT have a stable equilibrium so that's impossible, it makes your drawing broken.

Offline artisan

• View Profile
the suit he is wearing is supposed to be a skinny fit suit opposed to a normal one which are much more lose on the skin, the shirt however is a normal shirt with cuffs (which are the big things on the end of the arms), i like the illusion of big cuffs that come out of the sleeves and it is supposed to be part of the character, this does leave the sleeves quite stiff just so you know for future crits.... you are correct however they would most likely still hang down from your arm if you were to hold your arm there.... but you are contradicting yourself in a way, i agree yes the tie should be moving you are right.. but should the character be moving in some kind of forward manner with his arms moving downwards... the sleeves giving a hint of where his arms were would be dragged behind within the air. if they were as suggested hanging down from his arms would that not make my drawing broken too? so by moveing the tie as in my edit i fix the problem of the stiff sleeves.

so here is an update....
i made the mask and the skin the same colour simply to conserve colours, i only have 16 and i have 3 left to help with the background. as there is minimum skin showing it made sense to do that.

i also jazzed up the colours.

as for the background any ideas or refrences im kinda going into it blind not a clue what to do. was probably going for a middle of the forrest thing or inside a house.

if anyone is interested in seeing the progress so far heres an animation.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:16:24 pm by artisan »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
kewl. hmm...how about gee...well his boss's office? or I dont know, maybe make it a kitchen and suggest he's coming from and he's coming to meet his wife...I think he would be kind of wasted if the background wasn comical

Offline artisan

• View Profile

kitchen i guess i was thinking it would give me the most fun i can have in the background... so i shall see what else i can add in there but i have now run out of new colours....

crits n comms peoples?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: nana nana nana nana nana nana nana nana masked man! masked man

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 03:11:00 pm
THe choice for the desaturated colors in the background is great...it just needs some sort of suspense now, I'd imply that he's about to sneak up to startle someone...maybe you could make the light source whatever he's walking towards, and make someone else's shadow project into the floor right next to his

For the char, now I think you just need to take some saturation out of the suit. I'd make the shadow color desaturated, and use purples for the suit if I were you...

EDIT: I went and downloaded the pic...I noticed you played with the pallete, mixing the skintone with the pure blue..very daring of you.

I tapped on that a bit..Tried to integrate the pallete more so the mask worked better, but I think I lost the saturated charm of the picture there...I think ideally it should be like mine but a wee bit more saturated. I disregarded the AA because I have a personal vendetta against AA and Outlines, you dont have to carry on my grudges tho ;).
I also added a suggestion for an amusing situation....the wife having a hot cup of tea about to be turned into smoldering agony  :lol: (and completely fucked up your floor in the process)
Srsly check out thous Kof sprites, they got the foldin down li3k theres no tomorrow d00d
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:58:26 pm by Conceit »