AuthorTopic: [WIP] Pine Tree  (Read 13317 times)

Offline djfluffwug

• View Profile

[WIP] Pine Tree

on: January 04, 2013, 01:58:46 pm
Hello everyone,

After browsing for inspiration for my pixel art I found this forum and I am very glad to have found it.
I am very new to pixel art as I recently took on a game project without an artist to help me out. I decided I would do the art.
Anyways enough about that, I have been working on tree art for a while now and this is the results I got. I would really appreciate feedback on how I could improve it.

Thanks!

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Re: [WIP] Pine Tree

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:38:54 pm
There seems to be some problems with conflicting light sources here. It seems like the light is cast on the branches directly from top, while on the trunk from side-ways.

I would suggest casting light from top left or top right direction, and definitely don't forget to cash shadow on the trunk from the very tree, as well as from group of branches onto branches under them. I also think you need to define your green more clearly. There is a great tutorial on trees by kiwinuptuo: http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/gallery/27054576#/d393ikq

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:44:46 pm by Lachie Dazdarian »

Offline djfluffwug

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:06:30 pm
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Really appreciated. I can now see all the errors I have made with it :P

I guess I will try follow that tutorial first then see if I can put it into practice on this tree to fix it up.
Will post my progress once I have fixed it up some more.

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:08:13 pm
Pine trees are tricky. I would personally try to make it without foliage first, and then add it.

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:10:27 pm
Hello.

First thing you want to gather photo references.

As you can see, your tree isn't really close to real pine trees.
You need to reproduce better the height, the colors, the silhouette, the details.

I did a quick edit, I'll show you how to go from this to this :

I don't say my tree is perfect, but it's much more recognizable and realistic in my opinion.
Look at how the lighting is richer simply by putting the sun on the left and sticking to it
with consistency.

COLORS :
Change the color palette. When I checked all your green, they were all from the same hue :

Remember that sun light is warm, whereas shadows are rather influenced by the sky reflection, which is blue and colder. So make sure you have different hues for each value of the lighting of your objects. This technique is called hue shifting. This make a huge difference. You can also use this as a stylistic choice, aside from just replicating the reality. You can make a purple shadow and a blue highlight for example ?

NOISE :
Also, you added too many lonely pixels, that's why your tree feels noisy instead of textured. Try to gather pixels together so they makes small lines  / patterns rather than being alone and separated. Another very important point is the rendering of the branches, they must absolutely give this 3D feel otherwise it looks flat and weird. To do so, simply add shadows under each branch. Draw a bright branch (the part which receive the light) and just under it, draw a darker line. This way, you will feel much more the volume of your tree.

I hope it helps. Anyway, you should really try to improve your workflow : a solid workflow will greatly reduce the amount of mistakes you make.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:06:01 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline djfluffwug

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:19:25 pm
Thanks so much for that reply!

I didn't really gather any photo reference material when I created it so as you noted it ended up out of proportion and not really like a pine tree.
I will completely re-do the tree tomorrow with proper proportions and a better palette (It's 2am here. Gotta get some sleep) and post it as soon as it's ready to get some further feedback.

Glad you also pointed out the noisy feel of the tree and a solution. I was trying to figure out why I was getting that feel with the tree so I will definitely make an effort to improve the tree with that aspect.

Again, thanks a lot for the feedback! Off to sleep now.

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:35:42 pm
I'm glad to help. I added two more images about hue shifting and the difference between noise / texture.
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline djfluffwug

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:28:47 am
I have started to completely re-do the tree and so far I think it has turned out a lot better than the other one (It now has the vague form of a pine tree).
As you can see it is far from finished but I will keep working on it until complete.

I started out by just creating the trunk and I have now started to add the branches.
I will be without internet for a few days but as soon as I get it back I will post my progress.

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 01:55:45 am
It's a better start, but two things bother me :

• Why do you go into details now ? You need to paint the shape of the tree,
find the right light angle, the right height, everything, before even trying to
paint a single branch or detailing the trunk texture. This is extremely problematic
because you don't see where you go as a whole, you don't have any objective.
Think big, throw big shapes and big color variations, then only start to detail, add
texture, add smaller branches, fill the empty zones, etc…

• Are you sure about the black outlining ? I see this very often in novice pixel art
and even if it can works in some conditions (cartoony style), I really don't recommand it,
you should get rid of it. If you want to keep it, you'd better use the own color of the object
but slightly darker for a softer outlining. Dark green for leaves, dark brown for the trunks.
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline djfluffwug

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27:09 am
Finally am able to get to a computer. Been on holidays for a while but I have worked on a new version of the pine tree.

Followed your advice on starting with the basic shapes and then adding the detail later.
I used your animated gif as a guide to see how to do it, and I think I get the idea on how to do the lighting and add detail.

Tell me what you think.

Offline Applzor

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 05:11:30 am
huge improvement from your first tree, try using some more of that lighter colour to show the sun shining on the outer leaves (make sure you pick a direction it is coming from)

Offline djfluffwug

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 02:50:35 pm
I did a slight edit this morning to add some more of the lighter colour to the outer leaves so I will upload it when I get to my PC again (Tomorrow).

For now I wanted to know if people could help me find what is wrong with my colours. I don't know if anything is particularly wrong, I just feel as if the colour palette I have chosen doesn't quite work with the tree. Also any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.