AuthorTopic: Some people sprites I've been doing for fun  (Read 2115 times)

Offline tsquared27

• View Profile

Some people sprites I've been doing for fun

on: February 23, 2014, 05:07:21 pm
Hey everyone, first time posting here. I've just been making a couple sprites on my off time and I just wanted to see what crits I could get here.

The first sprite is what I plan to be the idle pose of a platformer character. I used the Dawnbringer palette for him. There are two versions, one with his hands at his sides, and one with his left hand on his waist, which for some reason I'm a little less happy with. The second sprite is something I just made pretty quickly and is supposed to be the gym leader Whitney from Pokemon Silver. I sort of used this as a reference. I used a slightly modified Dawnbringer palette for it.

Thanks!

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Some people sprites I've been doing for fun

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:21:16 am
If you're wondering why this haven't received any feedback, I think part of the reason is because this is very nice work. I didn't comment initially because I'm not really at this skill level with sprites, so I figured I'd pass the buck. Having said that...

- I think the male character's head could be moved one pixel to the right. Right now, it doesn't look aligned with his body, in my eyes.
- I'm sure you could take this to the cluster threads and get some valuable input there. A few people are experimenting with eliminating all individual pixels, and you have a few of them.
- I don't think like the female character's top / shirt reads very well. It's the vertical red line going down her top that creates a bit of noise, and you end up with some somewhat isolated, bright pixels.
- The female character's upper left arm looks a bit big, perhaps, compared to her other arm, and the male character's arms.

Hope this helps.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Some people sprites I've been doing for fun

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 01:58:45 am
I've never liked black outlines, especially on small resolutions, cause those are the pixels that can be used for better shape or some details. Here is my modest edit. If you have any additional questions feel free to ask.  :)

PS Girl character hips are positioned to low, which make her looks distorted. Try to fix that and see how it will look then.