AuthorTopic: Demon Armor Samus WIP  (Read 15087 times)

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Re: Demon Armor Samus WIP

Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 07:15:40 am
Excellent thread, well worth the read for the insight into your creative process, but one thing I noticed is that out of the average post on this forum, there isn't much, in my opinion, difference between your first image and the last...just a thought, not that you need to change your image but for me, the waist still seems awkward, like the sketch below on the right, on the left I tried a more straight pixel painting...

one thing a life drawing instructor told me that stuck, is that you need to draw what you see not what you think you see, as an example, draw a smile not as a wide letter"U" but draw what shapes you observe.
peace!

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 03:14:52 pm
I BROKE HER INTO PIECES and then I fixed her leg.

I'm not at all fond of the gun but I'm too lazy to edit it, plus mtr has already worked his magic with that, so look at that.

If you want her legs to be straight, you really ought to make her balanced for real.

Which I attempted with this edit. Tell me if I succeeded!

Ouch, it's ugly. I simply tried to make her legs correspond with the pose of her upper body. It's not very dynamic, as you can see, which led my leg edit to be very undynamic as well.

Oh dangit, I hope it helps anyway. ): This is by far my worst edit for a long time.
' _ '

Offline Bit-Blade

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 08:14:13 pm

Part of what you're seeing here is my technique. I use blobs of pixels and bring out definition as it comes along. Not the smartest way to go about it, probably. Although I guess you could say its a bit like carving, since blocks of unworked material are without much definition either until you work them. Either way, this project is turning out to be a much bigger challenge than I expected. Hopefully once the definition kicks in I can make adjustments as needed (one of my favorite things about pixel art/painting).

I'm redoing the gun, legs, and parts of the torso. The length of the arms still seems faulty to me somehow. Do the legs need to be longer or would that make her spidery? I'm not sure what position the gun should face.

Edit: Hmm... it took a while for me to realize it, but the legs are (and always have been) not long enough. Her hand is only supposed to reach mid-thigh, but currently goes down to her knee! I could have balanced this picture out much better if I actually sketched a frame beforehand. I don't want to throw in the towel on this project yet, whether I fail at drawing in an anatomically correct fashion or not. Corrections can always be made.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:51:25 pm by Bit-Blade »