AuthorTopic: rendera (free paint app)  (Read 9836 times)

Offline joe_7

• View Profile
    • Rendera

rendera (free paint app)

on: June 29, 2015, 05:57:53 pm
Hello, I'm the author of Rendera, a free (open-source) painting app. I recently rewrote the entire thing from scratch, and you can get it here:

http://rendera.sourceforge.net

I made this mostly for retouching, but have done game art also. At the core it's like a fancy version of MS Paint.

The current todo list:
-copy/paste/clipboard etc
-patterns
-isometric grid

It's difficult as a developer to write useful software without feedback, so that's what I'm after. (Also will give credit for ideas/code contributions.)

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Re: rendera (free paint app)

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 01:49:27 pm
Hi, and welcome.
As a coder of a graphic program too, I've tested a lot of them on Windows to get ideas.
* Yours looks quite "pro". Nice design, clean one-executable packaging.
* The drawing tools like antialised lines and antialised freehand shapes are quite unusual, very nice !
* Many painting modes which I didn't even know existed. Any documentation ?
* The multi-step Undo is good to have, but you should really make a Re-do to go with it, otherwise people will Undo too much and lose work.
* In the same line of thought, a protection against "quit without saving" may save someone some serious pain.
* The dither pattern that marks the part that you're drawing : I completely understand the question of performance. It is actually very suitable for a lot of tools (preview polygons...) and for many effects where the result is not very visible (when you're applying subtle low-pressure effects). At the same time, it's not the best for "simple" drawing (Normal at 100% opacity), but you can't have the best of both worlds. One remark : The black and white dither texture itself may be annoying because it can display "fuzzy" (unstable) on low-end screens, and on very high-resolution ones it can become totally indistinguishable from grey, which defeats the purpose of a "recognizable" color. I don't have a solution in mind for this.

If I have one suggestion, it's to choose where your editor sits in the middle of the countless free graphic editors for Windows, and focus on its strengths. It's tempting to try do everything at once, but it would take years to accumulate all the features of Photoshop, and this is even without talking of different color spaces (indexed, HSV, 48bit RGB...) or image types (layer groups, animation)

Offline joe_7

• View Profile
    • Rendera

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:09:12 pm
All good suggestions, thank you. Will try to fix those problems soon. My goal at this point is to have a nice paint toy without getting into fancier things like layers etc. It's pretty easy to add new tools/modes/menu items though. Ideas are welcome, there is plenty of room for more stuff.

There isn't much documentation yet besides this lazy effort:
https://github.com/Mortis69/rendera/wiki

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:30:41 am
Tried it under X11.

Looks promising.

If you want it to be useful for pixel art then indexed mode editing is really quite important.

The dithered stroke preview is really ugly to my eyes. I'd much prefer it just use solid paint colour.

Is there a way to pan with the mouse without switching to navigation view, just pull the canvas across the viewport? If not then that would be very important for me.

The gui panels all have a lot of empty space. It'd be nice to be able to pack them together in line with others. Does FLTK have docks?

Offline joe_7

• View Profile
    • Rendera

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 07:14:25 pm
You can use the cursor keys to move around for now, but I think doing it your way and having the navigator optional (maybe with shift+middle) would be better.

Will look into some of the other things also.

Offline joe_7

• View Profile
    • Rendera

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 05:18:46 pm
Fixed a few of these problems in the source code:

-shows color instead of ugly pattern now when painting
-implemented redo
-closing the program triggers an "are you sure?" message (doesn't check to see if you saved yet, but I'll get around to it)

Indexed mode is next.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 08:41:25 pm
Painting's much more pleasant to look at with the solid coloured stroke now.
Redo looks to work fine but is quite awkward without a keyboard shortcut.

If you're going to have indexed colour then it'd be nice to be able to change index colours nonmodaly. So for example have changing colour on the colour square update the selected index rather than having to launch the palette editor whenever you need to tweak a colour. Colour component sliders would be nice too (RGB/HS?).

Offline joe_7

• View Profile
    • Rendera

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 02:44:18 am
Made a keyboard shortcut for redo, thanks for pointing that out.

I don't think an indexed mode is going to work out very well. It's possible, but I feel it only adds a lot of confusion to both the code base and user experience. So I'll probably make a separate 8-bit version for pixel art purposes (much of the code can be reused for this).

Also planning to remove the palette editor (never did like it), and do as you suggested. Shouldn't be hard to provide the same funtionality on the main screen, along with a choice of color wheel/sliders.

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:31:26 am
Hm, interesting.

I can try this soon and provide in-depth critique as it relates to my own professional pixel art workflow and my deep craving for a sleek-quick-clean interface. As well as considering that I'm a Cintiq/drawing tablet user.

Interested?

Offline joe_7

• View Profile
    • Rendera

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 07:38:08 pm
Yes, I think that would help a lot.