AuthorTopic: Online pixel painter  (Read 3499 times)

happy_hippie

Online pixel painter

on: January 16, 2007, 10:16:33 am
Hey there, boys and girls.

This is my first post on this forum, but the forum has already been inspiring me.
But the reason for this post is, that i have created an online pixel painter, and i would like to know what
you think of it.

Things that i know that i am missing, is and option to save the image into and xml file, so you can re-open the file, and start painting
on it again.

And the color chart should maybe be at the top.
You should not use the color FF00FF, because that is the current transparency color for the php script. But there will be a function so that you self could choose what color that will be the transparency color.
And for the moment, you can only make pixels in 32x32.
It is best viewed in 1280x1024, as that is what im using.

It can zoom from 100% to 1000%
It has a "normal view" that shows how the image is in it's normal proportions.
You can save it as a gif, by clicking the button in the upper right  corner.
There will be a saving bar at the bottom left of the screen.
To erase/make transparent, click on "Transparent". The upper box from the color chart, will change to gray.

It need you to have javascript enabled and let the site make popup's.

But please let me know what i can do better or remove or just say your oppion

And the link is:
http://hippie-web.dk/pixel/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:19:01 am by happy_hippie »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Online pixel painter

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 01:59:02 am
Are you going to make it like Artpad (so you can see how other people make their pieces)?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:04:49 am
I know there are applets out there like 'paintchat' which is basically like a chatroom with one huge canvas and everyone can see each others drawings as they paint them. i think it would be a neat idea to do the same, but more suited for pixel art.

The one thing that i notice right away is that you cannot drag the mouse to make a line. rendering my tablet useless. it's an interesting project though. keep going with it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:09:29 am
I have these things to suggest:

freehand drawing with a tablet should be there.

multi-user like stwelin said.

ditch the full palette. Choose a 16 color palette (c64?) for it. If it's going to be pixel-art-based, make it so people adopt good practises in it and learn to use colors smartly.

unlimited undos

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 03:12:27 am
unlimited undos

I strongly ditto that. If anything irks the crap out of me with M.S. Paint, it's the 3 undos only rule.
my back hurts...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:16:01 am
Mm, well, instead of restricting the colours to that few, you could have multiple rooms, one with a full palette for those doing projects they already know how they want to color and wish to show others and such, one room with only a c64 palette, and one room with a custom palette that changes every week for people looking to expand and practice colour theory while challenging themselves.

this has very much potential, i think it could add a lot to the community. (with a paint-chat sort of function, that is.)