AuthorTopic: [wip]Valkyrie ~ also my first post here :)  (Read 9191 times)

Offline LMR

• View Profile

[wip]Valkyrie ~ also my first post here :)

on: January 04, 2008, 10:57:55 pm
Hello everyone!

I'm LMR and I'm new to this forum, although this forum isn't new for me. And if u wonder about my name it's not a bunch of random letters, they're each first letters of my first name, middle name and surname. :)

So I've been looking your great pixelworks and now I finally decided to join in this forum myself.

And here's my first pixelwork, it's a valkyrie lady and I'm not really happy at how it turned out, so I was wondering if anyone of you could help me to improve it to better direction. Also it's my first attempt to pixel woman's body so it must have many anatomical issues.  ;D

- - - - Latest version - - - -

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:02:48 pm by LMR »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: [wip]Valkyrie ~ also my first post here :)

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 01:16:33 am
I think it looks great. I like the soft style, with the smooth edges. The simple AA works out in this case. Her legs do look a little stumpy, though. I understand one leg is lifted up, by knee, but if you look to the other beside it(our right), it's almost about as long as her other leg. Unless, I'm looking at it incorrectly. Are there more details awaiting this piece, or will it be left in a simple style?

Oh, and welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay!
my back hurts...

Offline LMR

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:34:40 pm
I think it looks great. I like the soft style, with the smooth edges. The simple AA works out in this case. Her legs do look a little stumpy, though. I understand one leg is lifted up, by knee, but if you look to the other beside it(our right), it's almost about as long as her other leg. Unless, I'm looking at it incorrectly. Are there more details awaiting this piece, or will it be left in a simple style?

Oh, and welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay!

I'm glad you like it. Yeah I'm still working with her legs, but can't really get 'em to look right. Here's some progress I've gone through, I think i'm going to right direction though.

Oh and about the style, I'm gonna keep the style as it's now, I do have more details for you later, but now I have to fix those legs.

Thanks for your comment. ~

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:35:55 pm
This is good stuff!  Welcome to the forum!

both legs are bent, just the right one more than the left.  It might benefit from a highlight on the right leg though just to emphasise

i can tell you right now that if you ever put this into a game with backgrounds you won't be able to find it anymore unless you add some contrast. I don't know if you plan to, but it's got that quality of it.

The face is confusing because it's half covered with no details; it might be better either to show details or really just cover it completely.  the face is large enough that it's a little strange without.

about the edit - old legs were way better.

my edit loses your style a bit but it (might) "work" better:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 04:49:20 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline LMR

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 05:51:18 pm
This is good stuff!  Welcome to the forum!

both legs are bent, just the right one more than the left.  It might benefit from a highlight on the right leg though just to emphasise

i can tell you right now that if you ever put this into a game with backgrounds you won't be able to find it anymore unless you add some contrast. I don't know if you plan to, but it's got that quality of it.

The face is confusing because it's half covered with no details; it might be better either to show details or really just cover it completely.  the face is large enough that it's a little strange without.

about the edit - old legs were way better.

my edit loses your style a bit but it (might) "work" better:

Hey,

It's great to hear you like it too. :)

And about that edit it's really awesome and yet really helpful, I do now understand why people wanted me to add more contrast (you'rent the only one who mentioned about it). :p

Thanks for putting so much effort in your reply, I'm gonna study it and see if i can improve my own work. :)

I was kinda hurry when i posted this, so sorry about that and thanks once again.

later ~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Meh, I really haven't had time to work with my valkie, but I haven't stopped working with it and here's some workin' progress, it's not much progress though.

Yeah it still has that contrast issue and it has the legs of Adarias edit, but I'm trying to find my own way to make her legs better, although if Adarias is ok to let me leave her legs like that it would be really cool and would let me to move on a little. Oh and forgot to say that this is not gonna be in any game, it's just some practice work.

edit. forgot to mention that i also copied eyes from Adarias edit.

edit2. wrong image.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:58:45 pm by LMR »

Offline LMR

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:20:50 pm
More update ~

Tried to add some contrast on it, but I'm not quite sure if I made it any better. . .

Also started this little game project, it's yet untitled though.

You play as a cat like creature.

You can also shoot some kind of balls out of your mouth.  :)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:38:08 pm
Maybe make the shot like its done in the kirby game, so fill the mouth with air and then shoot it out like a ball, xcept that this isn't a pink ball but a cat that'll probably fill less than its entire body.

Offline MashPotato

• View Profile
    • Crabshack Gallery

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 10:40:38 pm
I really like that cat character, simple, cute, n' stylish :)  However, due to its simplicity, I find that the strong patterned background overpowers it too much.  A plainer background would be more in keeping with the character, I think--or, if you want to keep the pattern, reducing the contrast would probably help.

Offline LMR

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 10:50:36 pm
Maybe make the shot like its done in the kirby game, so fill the mouth with air and then shoot it out like a ball, xcept that this isn't a pink ball but a cat that'll probably fill less than its entire body.
Hey that's a pretty awesome idea though wouldn't it be a bit rip off from kirby?
Later though when I add more attacks I might add your suggestion if you don't mind.  :P

I really like that cat character, simple, cute, n' stylish :)  However, due to its simplicity, I find that the strong patterned background overpowers it too much.  A plainer background would be more in keeping with the character, I think--or, if you want to keep the pattern, reducing the contrast would probably help.
Great to hear you like it. :) I have to see what I can do with the backround, not quite satisfied it to myself either.

Also small update:

cat thing got now proper ears ~

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 03:58:42 am
Welcome, I recently joined too.
Last edit to the lady is great in the way of contrast and definition.
The wing and sword could use a little more definition though.
When two objects of the same color are intersecting, there is usually a darker shade on the one behind.