AuthorTopic: RPG sprite, SD3 inspired  (Read 12634 times)

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

RPG sprite, SD3 inspired

on: December 02, 2006, 06:42:50 am
Hey guys,

I used to post at pixelation aggggggesss ago, back at the old swoo.net forums before they went down. Had no idea pixelation was back until I somehow stumbled upon the resurrected board here. Anyway, I doubt most would remember me, but I've recently got back into pixelling and thought I'd share a little something for c&c and whatnot:

16 colours, including transparency. Tried to give him a real SD3 feel, like the snes rpgs of old.

Look forward to sharing many more.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Re: RPG sprite, SD3 inspired

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 12:05:50 pm
Looks great.
The hair is very well done, as is the body. It has a great RPG style to it.

My only slight discomfort is the lack of making out the face.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:53:28 pm
the big problem i have is that it is so close to the originals.  the feet are simply shuffled.  i would love to give you a more substantial critique for something a little more yours
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:30:07 pm
the big problem i have is that it is so close to the originals.  the feet are simply shuffled.  i would love to give you a more substantial critique for something a little more yours

agree'd.  I had to go dig up the original just to make sure i wasn't looking at a colour edit. And that's never good.  Although, i still like the sprite. Great games.

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 08:37:30 pm
Eh, it is true that I had a bit of trouble with the feet, but I think you'll find they're the only part of the sprite close to the originals. Very difficult to perfect. I took quite a bit of creative liberty with the arms, hair, face, and colour choice, however.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 01:26:15 am

Uh huh.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 01:32:42 am

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 01:36:47 am
seiken densetsus looks better somehow ;)
dunno why but :)

I tried making myself in somekind of topdown perspective view... doesn't look like I want... but... maybe it'll look better in some future :P
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 03:43:19 am

Uh huh.

I did say it was SD3 inspired, I never denied that. Have a closer look at the two and you'll see the differences.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 10:38:30 am
Elrinth: No thread hi-jacking. Please do not post your pixels in someone else's thread unless it's appropriate/asked for.

_spyder: Stating references is okay, showing them is better. Firstly to avoid such situations and secondly because not everyone is familiar with the original.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 10:16:06 pm
There is a difference between "inspired by" and "edited."  Here is a mask of places where your pixel work matches the original sprite exactly (or has been shifted by a single pixel in some instances):

The bulk of the feet were simply copied, but there are clearly areas where the face, leg, and shoulder were not fully edited away from the original either.  Also, the following palette similarities:

1 outline color
4 hair colors
3 base clothing colors
3 skin colors

Your palette differs only in that the original has a block of 4 armor colors, whereas you share that block between armor highlight and belt colors.  From what I have seen around here, sprites "inspired" by other games rarely share exact blocks of pixels or identical palette layouts.

The only reason I am going to all the trouble to point this stuff out is your edit of the sprite has changed it for the worse.  Without understanding the basics of color theory, painting and pixel art, sprite editing will not be able to teach you anything.  Study, practice, and make your own sprites; it is the only way you are going to be able to improve!

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 12:12:08 am
There is a difference between "inspired by" and "edited."  Here is a mask of places where your pixel work matches the original sprite exactly (or has been shifted by a single pixel in some instances):

The bulk of the feet were simply copied, but there are clearly areas where the face, leg, and shoulder were not fully edited away from the original either.  Also, the following palette similarities:

1 outline color
4 hair colors
3 base clothing colors
3 skin colors

Your palette differs only in that the original has a block of 4 armor colors, whereas you share that block between armor highlight and belt colors.  From what I have seen around here, sprites "inspired" by other games rarely share exact blocks of pixels or identical palette layouts.

The only reason I am going to all the trouble to point this stuff out is your edit of the sprite has changed it for the worse.  Without understanding the basics of color theory, painting and pixel art, sprite editing will not be able to teach you anything.  Study, practice, and make your own sprites; it is the only way you are going to be able to improve!

The sprite is not an edit. All that was used was a reference. The ONLY common color is R24B24G24, which is a recurrent shadow color throughout the whole SD3 game and which I used to ensure consistency with other sprites if it were placed on an SD3-esque color set.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 12:18:03 am
which is a recurrent shadow color throughout the whole SD3 game and which I used to ensure consistency with other sprites if it were placed on an SD3-esque color set.

It's amazing to me that you are operating within this mindset.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 02:09:48 am
Is your avatar from a game?

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 07:21:14 am
Is your avatar from a game?

no, its a mockup I made a while back, a GBA version of metal gear solid.

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 07:22:39 am
It's amazing to me that you are operating within this mindset.

How so? I set out to make an SD3 sprite. I wasn't looking to win any points for originality with this one, it was just a bit of fun.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 08:10:41 am
How so? I set out to make an SD3 sprite. I wasn't looking to win any points for originality with this one, it was just a bit of fun.
I think he means that with that mindset, you're not going to further yourself. That you should focus on doing more original stuff.

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 08:16:40 am
I think he means that with that mindset, you're not going to further yourself. That you should focus on doing more original stuff.

I'd hardly say this one sprite represents everything I've done or intend to do. I've long admired SD3's artwork and simply wanted to pay some homage to it.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 01:13:12 pm
I'd hardly say this one sprite represents everything I've done or intend to do. I've long admired SD3's artwork and simply wanted to pay some homage to it.

Then draw it- or reinvent the sprites in some way that illustrates more than the semblance of a cheap colour edit.

~ Well, I suppose the greatest form of flattery...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 06:11:34 pm
I think I have to side with Spyder on this. I mean, like he said, this is hardly going to be all he pixels and I think it's pretty safe to say that this is not the extent of his abilities. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but if he ever gets a job pixelling as a part of a team, I'd think his works would be expected to match the rest of the art rather than be of a completely different quality and stand out. This is just matching the style of sprites done in the actual game, only more closely than usual.
*shrug*

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 06:16:22 pm
It's not so much that I find this wrong as a practise. I just have nothing to say in terms of critique. Great job, you've achieved your goal. Your piece is virtually indistringuishable from SD3 art. If this is a victory for you, awesome. I just don't have any critique.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 06:18:50 pm
Maan, I know everybody here doesn't like edits, but what's with the bad additude all of a sudden.

Please don't disrespect his desicion to make a sprite that would fit in exactly within the SD3 game, you don't have to understand him, just respect it.

Now, what I think is that even if you got the skewed look down, you actually could have made it more original with the pose and so :\ It's a little sad that you tried to get the feet-look down but resorted to making it exactly like the original. That may be me not liking the skewedness of the sprites in that game too.

But hey, you got the look down, good job. Please all of you, don't just resort to bashing him for a pixelat0r-sin. Or whatever. The Adminators decide :0

Peace out you all :D
' _ '

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 09:57:47 pm
Well I think everyone is saying this because it's not just fitting the style, it's nearly like an edit, even if it isn't. There are a lot of sprites in SD3, and they all don't have the same pose. So saying that he's just fitting the style isn't completely true, he's trying to match one specific sprite.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 10:12:56 pm
Well I think everyone is saying this because it's not just fitting the style, it's nearly like an edit, even if it isn't. There are a lot of sprites in SD3, and they all don't have the same pose. So saying that he's just fitting the style isn't completely true, he's trying to match one specific sprite.

Agreed. The different sprites in SD3 are so varied that it'd be much more of a challenge to make an entirely original one that would still fit in.

Wanted to say that but couldn't find the words. Also, it's a suggestion. It'd be über if you did that, spyder :D
' _ '

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 10:18:22 pm
In terms of differences.  Your version's eyes are different from the original-- I'd say your's eyes are better.  The angle of both sprites differ slightly: your version's right arm is more visible and to the side than the original.  The color choice on your version is weak compared to the som sprite, as it as more contrast between the highlights and shadows...I think you should highlight the metal on your's more.  Also, if you want to get technical, the version you made has a wider head....but that said, I prefer the hair on yours over the som one.

In terms of ethics.  Only you truly know the truth to the sprite, and if it's as you say it is, more power to you (make a lot of people look like jerks).  But if you take personal offence to the way you've been "attacked" or w/e, you should try to take it a bit more lightly; this is a critique forum, and it's our job here to jump and point things out.  I personally don't have anything against emulation of style (you could argue that all art is theft), and I feel that there's no better way to learn than copying somebody of higher skill than you, but perhaps with your next pieces, you could experiment and try to discover your own style.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 11:21:00 pm
bit of a waste of a topic really - just for one sprite that is nearly a complete clone. 

perhaps if you posted more of your works people would have more to judge you on.

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 11:54:50 pm
In terms of differences.  Your version's eyes are different from the original-- I'd say your's eyes are better.  The angle of both sprites differ slightly: your version's right arm is more visible and to the side than the original.  The color choice on your version is weak compared to the som sprite, as it as more contrast between the highlights and shadows...I think you should highlight the metal on your's more.  Also, if you want to get technical, the version you made has a wider head....but that said, I prefer the hair on yours over the som one.

In terms of ethics.  Only you truly know the truth to the sprite, and if it's as you say it is, more power to you (make a lot of people look like jerks).  But if you take personal offence to the way you've been "attacked" or w/e, you should try to take it a bit more lightly; this is a critique forum, and it's our job here to jump and point things out.  I personally don't have anything against emulation of style (you could argue that all art is theft), and I feel that there's no better way to learn than copying somebody of higher skill than you, but perhaps with your next pieces, you could experiment and try to discover your own style.

Thanks for the critique, I'll consider what you said if I get around to making any changes to this...the responses have sort of made me want to discard it.

Yeah, I understand I did get a bit defensive, but it just annoys me when a sprite for which I laid down every pixel individually is written off as an edit. Sort of cheapens the effort, especially since I was straight up and honest about what I was trying to achieve with this one little 21x32 project. Nevertheless, points noted. I'll branch out more with my next sprite and try to get out of my comfort zone.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 12:20:26 am
thats a good attitude.  nobody here will hunt you down and murder you for an edit or inspiration, its just....we really have nothing to offer besides aknowledgement.  we cannot help you explore regions already well mapped. looking forward to something uniquely yours in the future :D
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 01:26:52 am
I think emulation is fine practice with good benefits, but I think you should take more liberty with the subject matter and not make the actual character so close to an in game one.  This guy has the same personality as Duran.  Now take what you learned doing this and apply it to an original character (no copying poses) that would fit in with SD3.