AuthorTopic: Portrait  (Read 11900 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Re: Portrait

Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 04:59:31 am
Thanks a ton for taking the time to lay that all out for me; I really appreciate it. Although I knew a little about what the terminology, I really think I got the most out of your explanations of range and distance, although I didn't fully understand the second/third line of this quote...

"Typically, to have the most popping composition, splitting into simple distance dichotomies with little range is best.  Take a pair of complementary colors, split them then into light and dark, saturated and not, warm and cool.  Use only this palette and place colors in real quantities directly beside their counterparts (or close enough)."

-so I'm hoping you can muster up the strength to answer that small question for me lol. 
Lastly, I'm going to impose on your kindness a bit more and ask if you have any suggested reading or something of the sort to help me with the more advanced stuff. Thanks again

EDIT: oh and reader friendliness simply means nothing that isn't worth deciphering :P If it's really that great of advice, I'm willing to take out my readin specs
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:09:24 am by gliding »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 11:02:18 am
The eyebrows are still wonky. Look at it with a fresh eye, don't you feel they lack symmetry?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 05:05:02 pm
place colors in real quantities in large enough portions to be their own region, i.e. of significant size
directly beside their counterparts
right next to the colors which are opposite them (or close enough) or near enough that they still complement each other well, don't space them so far that the effect is lost.

There are some great books but it will take me a while to get the names together, I need to get digging
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 05:19:04 pm
Thanks adarias, I think I understand that now :)

@ helm: I think I see the lack of symmetry, but I don't see how i could fix it unless I changed her hair and moved it out of her face. Is it really an obvious thing or is it more subtle?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 07:18:27 pm

?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 02:14:05 am
I dunno, It makes her expression seem a bit like she's raising her eyebrow at someone (regardless of the physical symmetry). I think I'll leave that part as is.Thanks though :)

Offline Jace

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 04:15:31 am
Before you called it quits on the eyebrow I made a little edit that might work. I shifted the eyebrown, deleted two colors altogether (besides the boarder that is), removed the boarder, and removed the orange color off of the face. I left the orange on the neck but it really isn't needed.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 11:41:07 am
Thanks for the edit jace, but it still has that raised brow quality going on.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 02:09:26 pm
I think a lot of us see your eyebrows rather as being a bit like http://farm1.static.flickr.com/67/161591255_4853c41805.jpg , but if you are happy with this now I'd call it done :P
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 02:32:16 pm
On to bigger and better I suppose. Thanks for the help :P