AuthorTopic: a portrait for me.  (Read 2883 times)

Offline and2

• View Profile

a portrait for me.

on: March 25, 2007, 10:32:12 am
Ugh, its a mess.. i dno how to fix it. iv been working on this peice for about 25 mins.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: a portrait for me.

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:54:52 am
Doesn't seem like real pixel art to me, did you lower the quality of a portrait of yourself?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 12:15:14 pm
yeah this looks as if it's based on a color reduced photo

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 12:18:53 pm
I highly doubt it took you 25 mins.  Which also begs the question, 'did you actually make this?'  or has someone been using the Photoshop>Image>Mode>Index Color, feature.

Offline and2

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:49:18 pm
i guess i should have said from the start,
I shrunk the size of a picture i already had then i saved as 256 colour bitmap and played around with the image, changed a few things edited colours. got a basic outline, made the hair all black, added some blue, then near the edges shades of purple and green. a bit of AA and yeah.

Im guessing i cant acctually do that [Eeeep].
im still fairly new to this pixel business, and iv never ever pixeled a face before so maybe someone would like to help me through?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 01:53:52 pm
The Bruce in the banner is made by colorreducing a photo and then overworking on the pixel-level. That's about what you 'can't do' :P The issue is always stating what you did, not wether you can or not. However at your current skill level, yes, working from reference but eyeballing things and drawing them from scratch yourself, not letting the computer color-reduce would help you much, much more. And people would see the effort involved and be more willing to help.

Right now, though the piece is a bit sloppy in places, it's consistent, but that consistency is on borrowed strength: the volumetrics and lights are pretty good, and that's because they're from a picture. If you took that away from it, you'd have a clearer representation of your current skill level with pixels, and therefore people would be much more able to help you with your actual shortcomings, not shadowed by an illusionary control of volume and light.