AuthorTopic: Mountains! [WIP]  (Read 7552 times)

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Re: Mountains! [WIP]

Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 09:31:39 pm
another update!

dex, i tried to copy what you did and i think it came out pretty good (also, i stole your colors :P thanks!)
i think it looks way better now, but what i dont like is how the rocks look pillowy and soft. how do i make them look more rugged and not.. well, bad? XD

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 10:48:52 pm
The softness look comes from the shading, since you said you wanted rocks, and not dirt, which is what it looks like now (and pretty good btw), then you need to define the edges of the rocks more, leave abrupt edges on the rocks where the light won't hit, 'rocks' are usually thought of as more jagged than smooth. (However they can be, it's just about the style you're looking for, I believe making them more jagged would give them that 'rocky' look.)

Also, I'm not sure about that dark red (and gray!?) for the bottom of the mountain, I don't believe it's helping the piece, maybe you should go a lot more towards dark brown, and define it a little bit more down there.
 And it looks like your light source is coming directly from the top-center, so, the sides of the mountain should naturally be a little more defined (lit up) than the side that is facing us . I think you would benefit from moving it a little (or a lot) to the left or right as well, as thing generally look more interesting, and it would probably help in removing that soft, 'pillowy', look as well.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 04:33:56 am
hmm yeah youre right about the lighting. most rpgs do a top down thing, so i figured id try it, but top left would probably look more interesting.
the gray at the bottom is for the shadow, though its really just temporary until i figure out something better. and as for the red, i stole the palette from dex's edit of my mountain (shhh!), and i dunno i think it works really well! but hey im willing to fool around a bit so the palette could change later on. ill try the dark brown thing. thanks for the crit dude!

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 03:16:45 pm
Firstly,Dex's edit is like foreplay awesomeness put into a bottle.

Secondly, Stealing his pallet is ok, as I think he wouldn't mind...but I however think that a choice in your own colours would be better suited if your still learning your way around the block.

I will like to say that Mr Dr D brings up some good point's, but going for more of a brown than red? Yeah sure...but then again, a redish tint is what will distinguish it as a shadow better than plain brown. But I think that Mr Dex's choice in that red was a bit extensive.

Well I'm muttering again. And my knowledge of these things aren't worth looking into, but take what you want from this comment.

Jim

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 02:03:50 am

i tried making the rocks more jagged and added more detail. also, i fooled around with the colors a bit so there wasnt the red color as the shadow. i think it looks better, but the rocks are still all soft and marshmallow-like to me, and they just look unprofessional. im getting pretty frustrated here... could someone help me out with this? how do i make this not look so fluffy and better overall?

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 02:32:59 am
Well you're going to have to start by making the rocks stick out more, and define those hard, jagged edges. This is harder when the surface is meant to be traversable, and therefore, the rocks/ground are naturally flatter.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 05:53:31 am
FINAL VERSION:

here is the final, edited it for proper tiling, and added more corner pieces to make more complex shapes with the tiles. i have to say, im really proud of how it came out! i like the style of how i did it and the colors are great. thanks so much to all of you who helped me out, or even just looked at the topic haha.
i may change these tiles a bit in the future (probably colors) but i dont want to spend too much time on it as i want to move on with my project. once again, thanks everyone!

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 05:57:33 am
Well, it came a long way from the first version.

Me being a nitpick would ask you to fix some further things, but I'll let you go on. Show us what else ya' got.

Also, if you haven't planned on it yet, maybe add some foliage and grass to the cliffs in various places for more life?