AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 404277 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #770 on: May 23, 2007, 06:42:07 pm

Mockup for some gangster shooter game. The characters are rather temporary and the building is not even a whole building. I was going for a comic noir type of look but it turned into something a little different. It's vector art if ya didn't know. :P

Also. Junkboy, that's really sweet.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 06:43:40 pm by Doppleganger »

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #771 on: May 24, 2007, 03:23:55 am
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I have hi-res scans of the Odin Sphere (http://www.atlus.com/odinsphere/) art book if anyone wants it. :) It's going to be a beautiful game, reminds me of SD3 a lot.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #772 on: May 24, 2007, 04:57:14 am
sweet sassy molassy yes!  find me on IM and get your send on :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #773 on: May 24, 2007, 06:37:34 am
Ditto please :)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #774 on: May 24, 2007, 07:04:42 am
Omfg, been searching for an Odin sphere artbook for a while. Gimmi!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #775 on: May 24, 2007, 09:59:34 pm
I was just doodling a bunch in an attempt to keep my pen skills from rotting away. And I ended up sketching up this guy, and I figured I should touch him up a bit and post it somewhere. So I did. And I am. Mind you this is still a very quick job, though.

Everything looks better as a kuvrahk.
Awesome species invented by Casey Young
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:05:50 pm by Rox »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #776 on: May 25, 2007, 03:45:46 am
Holy androginous furry Batman!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #777 on: May 25, 2007, 07:42:15 am
Hey, blame Casey! She's responsible!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #778 on: May 25, 2007, 04:07:05 pm
the anatomy and lines, even for a bat-wing-eared-cow-person, seems real odd to me.  The right deltoid is so developed that it actually extends above the slope of the trapezius, yet the left one is smooth and level.  the line that is defining the mouthless muzzle type thing doesn't appear to be symmetrical, it stays higher on its left side than its right.  your little hash marks for the throat and collar bones, and the hard line for the neck muscles all appear to be thrown in without much effort or care as to actual location.  the eyes are cheaply realized, and the hair hints at an amorphous, oddly shaped skull.  the interior of the ears lacks detail completely, where any would be welcome.  And dodging the hips, hands and feet is a pretty cheap copout!  Bad hands are better than no hands.  Also it seems like its left ear should be visible at this angle.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #779 on: May 25, 2007, 07:35:25 pm
Oh, sheesh. You know, I made sure to note it was a quickie so someone wouldn't have to waste time writing something like that... I'm well aware of everything that could be considered wrong with it. But it's just a quick job, and obviously still very rough. It was just some random practice, trying to get the species to look recognizable, and one of the sketches I made turned out okay enough for me to consider uploading, so I did!

In all honesty, I don't know what a trapezius is. (Well, I do now, but only after looking it up.) The line on the muzzle and throat wouldn't even be necessary in a colorless picture since the type of creature has two or more colors, the one on the front often contrasting nicely to the rest of the body, and the lines that would outline the inner color were really just thrown in to make it more recognizable as a kuvrahk. The stuff that seems thrown in without much effort is just that. It looked empty so I drew some lines, checked my reference and agreed that Casey had drawn it in a similar way, so I kept it. The eyes look like they do in the comic the creature derives from, and is also consistent with how I've drawn eyes the past five years or so. The hair... took a few minutes to do. Once I did it, I realized it gave the impression of a deformed head, but I didn't bother remaking it since it doesn't matter.

Dodging the lower body simply happened because I originally just tried to make the head recognizable, but ended up throwing in a body too. I ran out of virtual canvas space at the hip, so I cut it off there and made a fadey thing to make it less harsh.

Heh, I feel like I'm trying to defend myself. I'm not. I just kinda wish people wouldn't expect anatomical perfection from a piece that I've already described as a touched up version of a rouch, quick sketch.

And regarding some of the anatomical comments, refer to the link I gave to Casey's site for references. It's a webcomic with a very nice simplistic style that I really like, so of course I kept in touch with that when drawing my own character of that same species. I bet I could do more detailed stuff if I needed to, but I don't want to. I much prefer looking at more simplistic styles, as I've already said.

[edit] Though, thanks for commenting... I do appreciate that. [/edit]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:39:06 pm by Rox »