AuthorTopic: Spaceships C+C  (Read 5030 times)

Offline mhajnal

• View Profile

Spaceships C+C

on: May 15, 2012, 08:21:38 pm
I'm making a lightweight space RTS, and decided to try and draw my own sprites to use in the game. I'm a programmer, and these are my first attempts at pixel art. I feel that they need some improvement, but I just don't know what and how to change. Please help me out with some advice. Thanks!

With black background:

2x zoom:

With pink background, to show outlining:

Some more info:
These are supposed to be sprites for the 2 smallest ship classes (out of 5). I will probably animate them slightly. I use pillow-shading, because the ships are gonna be facing different directions every time.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Spaceships C+C

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:55 am
These are supposed to be sprites for the 2 smallest ship classes (out of 5). I will probably animate them slightly. I use pillow-shading, because the ships are gonna be facing different directions every time.

If you mean light might come from left or right, then you're definitely better to double your # of sprites and come with proper shading.
If you mean you want free rotation of your sprites, as in solar winds, for instance, then the best way I see is to assume front lightning (i.e. the player is the lightsource) -- or more likely, use some computer rendering (i.e. go for low-poly 3D model rather than pixel art).

Pillow shading is just ignoring shape altogether and put a raster you don't understand. I doubt you want to do that.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:14:42 am
Pillow shading is not a solution to no clear lighting anyway but the ships all have rockets right, so that's the clear light source no matter what rotation..  Maybe with some edge/back lighting like Super Mario Galaxy?  Try it, you'll be surprised!  Will help avoid all the banding too. 

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:03:47 pm
You really need to work on that palette, too. Try cutting it down to four colors for each main color (so four greys and four greens, then a couple yellows and reds for the details). Then And try to get a bit more contrast in there instead of having a ramp of straight grey highlights.

Also, the dark grey outlines are doing a lot more harm than good. If you're trying to antialias, you need to use it sparingly, and if not it just makes the whole thing look a little blurry.

Offline mhajnal

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:13:54 pm
Thank you guys for the feedback!
I'm going to reduce the palette, and adjust (or remove) the outlining. I'll see (and probably post some pictures of) how it works with some of the backgrounds I have in the game.

I'm still not sure about the lighting... I took a look at the SMG sprites rikfuzz mentioned, but honestly, I don't know what to look for. Maybe you can post a picture to show what you meant?

but the ships all have rockets right, so that's the clear light source no matter what rotation..
There are going to be lot of light sources, like laser beams, explosions etc.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:33:09 pm
I'm still not sure about the lighting... I took a look at the SMG sprites rikfuzz mentioned, but honestly, I don't know what to look for. Maybe you can post a picture to show what you meant?

In regards to SMG, I was referring to the 'rim' lighting is maybe the correct term? 
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ITAUuHvJa6M/TQp3KDRoMGI/AAAAAAAAAAg/zO3CjTidtBU/s1600/super-mario-galaxy-wallpaper.jpg

If you look at the edges of everything it's kind of glowing, like there's a torch shining on their backs.  It's a bit stylised, but it does look kinda spacey. 

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/pacey78/theship.gif

This ship uses that kind of lighting effect (it's huge, but you get the idea).

but the ships all have rockets right, so that's the clear light source no matter what rotation..
There are going to be lot of light sources, like laser beams, explosions etc.

Yeah but the exhaust is a constant, and it's closest, so it's a good one to focus on.  Feel free to use any lighting conditions you choose, though, the rotation isn't going to make a huge noticable error, and even if something's 'wrong' but looks good, people won't notice as long as everything is unified. 

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:43:02 pm
Here is a good example of top down planes/spaceship type stuff. It's an enemy from Armed Police Batrider (arcade game)

You can see that they kinda do use top down lighting but it is not super pillowy and still has definition. The main thing you have to watch out for is good contrast and readability.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:55:40 pm
Pillow shading is not a solution to no clear lighting anyway but the ships all have rockets right, so that's the clear light source no matter what rotation.. 
it's gonna be a good *secondary* lightsource, imho. But unless your in far outer space or on the dark side of the moon, the primary lightsource is gonna be the closest star. Think of how bright the moon shines while it's just a rough surface reflecting our poor little sun's light. fat chance your boosters can compete with that.