AuthorTopic: [WIP] My first iso... ~ Update 25/2/08  (Read 4300 times)

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

[WIP] My first iso... ~ Update 25/2/08

on: January 17, 2008, 02:21:39 pm
After a stressful incedent (makes me want to pixel) tonight i decided to have a shot at iso and tileing for the first time ever. I'm makeing a set of tiles for the basic, long grass, short grass, bushes, trees, rocks in grass, etc. Just to give it a shot. Please give me pointers.

I'm especially unhappy with the tree, but i've been working for an hour and abit on them on and off (i'm reading and posting on a forum elsewhere at the same time as working on them) and i've gotten to the point that i can no longer see the mistakes with the tree since it's the item i devoted 60% of the time too, but most of that was on the foliage, the trunk is a slap-bang job that i will fix once the leaves are right.

Any c+c and advice would be fantastic. As i said, this is my first shot and i'm not sure what i'm doing.

PS. Sorry that they're in two images but i'm on my mother's computer that only has MS Paint at the moment and i'm useing an online image converter to turn them to gifs. The downside is that it doesn't do files bigger than 100kb so i have to cut my images up into peices to post them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:29:29 am by heyy13 »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] My first iso...

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 07:25:15 am
Updated tree, made some stones, stone-grass north-west, flowers in short grass, flowers in long grass, and a simple mockup to see what the tiles look like togeather.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 05:10:12 pm
I think this is all looking pretty good.

You might find some good inspiration in this thread http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3246.0

The bushes don't really break free from the grass well (You could perhaps add a new colour specific to them) It's good to unify your palette by including the same colours in everything but at the moment the separate items are easily confused.

You should also try making a variety of trees to break the repetition.

To crit this further I'd like to know what use you intend it for?

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:48:02 pm
Intelectual practice and as a learning curve. If this ever is used for something other than that it will be to prove i can do iso (to myself) and possibly in something on gaiaonline. But in that case i'd allow someone else to use it as i'm not interested in it past the "i can do it too" and "i want to get better" stage.

The bushes have a darker green unique to them and the trees at the bottoms of the leaves. There were even more blended in previously and i think this is a nice level of similarity to the ground, but i see what you mean. The trees and bushes are supposed to look seperate from the grass but their foliage is supposed to "merge" into a kind of hedge or canopy. But makeing more trees is a good idea, it is to repetative currently. Also since the trees were where i was having problems it's good if i make more for practice. : D

Thankyou verry much for the link, it seems increadibly interesting and as if i could learn alot from them. : )

Now i have a Magic tourny in afew hours for the weekend so i'm not going to update this untill monday. Thanks for the reply (finally). : )

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:28:08 am
I did some work on this for the first time in ages last night. : )

I finished all the stone tiles 12 in total! D; Also did some funky mushrooms (that go with the fairies in the next post) and another standing stone tile.

And did some little critters for the ground. The grey is shading templates, not the final look. : ) But i would like some imput on readability/shading and the perspective. (which looks off on the bird)

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] My first iso... ~ Update 25/2/08

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:18:02 am
Examples death cycle for bush turkey:

Looking for lots of feedback on this one.

EDIT: Quick mockup with the new tiles. I realise the animals are shoddily coloured but as that's not my responsability in this case i'm looking for crits on the shading templates (above) rather than the crappy colour i slapped on so their not grey in the test. ;D

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:48:47 am by heyy13 »

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] My first iso... ~ Update 25/2/08

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 09:29:15 pm
Trees dont have the same color of the grass.
Try making it darker and "bluer" or more yellowish.