AuthorTopic: A dame  (Read 5884 times)

Offline RobbieE

• View Profile

A dame

on: January 07, 2009, 05:18:04 pm
Couldn't think of a title and I've been reading a lot of mspaint adventures so I've got the word stuck in my head.
Any ways this is my first post here so I should probably just quickly say hi.

Here's a piece I'm currently working on.

I was just wondering if I could get any sort of crit or help on making it look better.

I'm trying to keep the colour count fairly low so maybe 3 shades for each different colour? I might end up using a bit of the hair's shading (when i decide on it) for the skin a bit later on as the colours aren't too far apart.

Also i'm working off a ref. picture I found on myspace ages ago and I just don't know if I should post the picture as it's not mine and what not although if people really need me to I suppose I can over come my moral dilemma and post it. Oh and I'm still pretty much learning shading so this is really my first attempt at something 'decent'.

One last thing, from what I've been reading it seems people prefer smaller works but I get more enjoyment out of a bigger piece so I don't really want to change the size. Oh and the outlines will eventually go away once I work on it a bit more there just there to help me keep the figure.

Well that's pretty long for a first post and it's pretty late so my apologies for any spelling or grammatical errors.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: A dame

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:47:14 pm
Very nice so far.

My three cents:

I wouldn't suggest dithering until after you've gotten everything else right, leave that work until you've gotten the piece a lot more completed.

Having the reference would be nice. I mean, the pic is already on the internet anyway, but, it's your call. It's just much harder to critique someone who is trying to follow a reference when we can't see the reference either.

I would also suggest you start shading a bit, simple lines and fills are not usually much to critique on.

About the colors.. Yeah, use only colors that you need. If two colors are different in hue, but still look similar, go ahead and use one or the other, in the other colors place. You may need more than 1 highlight and 1 shadow for certain parts though, and some, less.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, although Jonathan already said, you really do need more contrast. Skin values are too close.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:04:01 pm by Dr D »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:00:57 pm
I'll start off with some good things about this piece. The linework is jaggy free! Which can make things really easy. I like the colors you've got going. Also you've got a reference! This is good, you've got something to check your work against. If anything looks weird about your piece just look back at the reference.

Now for some criticism. I know you like the size, but it's ridiculous to think you'll ever finish a piece this size. The reason people want you to make small pieces is because a pixel means more in a smaller piece. Pixel art is about the importance of an individual pixel. Sometimes a pixel is so important that if you move it to the right someone's face could look terrible or amazing. I could rearrange 10 pixels on your piece and it wouldn't make much difference. This size also effects your choice of a palette size. You want a few shades for your few colors. If you'd got a small piece you'd be able to use the colors a bit better, making things look smooth here will be difficult. You really should consider shrinking this canvas.
While I like your colors I think they need more contrast. I didn't notice that second shade of skin until I was starting to play with it in Graphics Gale.

In short, I think you need to shrink this canvas down considerably, add more contrast and post that reference.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:23:50 am
i tihnk you need some volumes to pull this girl out of the frame, and to shape her face a bit more.  right now she's got that "balloon head" look a bit:

don't necessarily follow these, they are just a "possible" value set.  you'll want to call up your reference and bring out the natural lighting.

of course, if this was taken with a frontal flash, you're partly doomed because the face won't have any definition, but references with a frontal flash are poo to begin with so it's hard to work around.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:32:34 am
i think you have a case of lineart syndrome. yeah im learning this RIGHT now but ive noticed that it actually does get the job done VERY fast. i say give it a try.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7719.0

dont base everything around your lines. good line art never the less though

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:37:11 am
Yeah, volumes are definitely the most important thing at this stage. You need to keep everything from looking flat, etc.

ndchristie's edit is surely a step in the right direction, though I feel the sunglasses on his extend a bit too far.

balls mentions a good point- you're also relying on black outlines to keep your lineart smooth and such.

Read into how ndchristie did the volumes on the edit, and try applying them to your portrait before you start going into detail. Be sure to check out some references, as well. G'luck!

Offline RobbieE

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 04:59:51 am
Wow didn't expect so much help, thanks a lot everyone ;D

I've tried to incorporate as much as what you've suggested so far, First time doing this whole volumes stuff so uh if it's terrible feel free to tell me how to improve on it.

And here's the ref pic i'm using.

The foundation on her face is kinda the structure a bit so that's why what I've got still has a bit of a "balloon head".

Also I kinda had to guess at the left (our left) arm because I didn't really like the bag so I removed it and the other bracelet suffered the same fate.

Edit: Forgot to mention I can't think for the life of me how to shade the black tank top. I can't really much definition in it so if some one who understands how the body would look under that could show me how to improve that too it'll help a lot.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:04:52 am by RobbieE »

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:15:54 am
with your reference the hair down the ends, relying on your lines to make that is going to kill you.

as for the tank top
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7635.msg87214#msg87214
cheers NaCl  :D,this is sort of same idea so yeah check it out maybe help abit. also her mouth i can see teeth showing (a couple of lines will do that), her neck is ALOT draker than the shade you used. and her elbow, there is more of a peak outwards.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:31:40 am
wut woah, diffuse light and photoshoppery!  this reference is going to provide some wicked pains for your ass.

still, i can offer some advice : there's a few volumes present and you want to make the most of them.  try not to do what you're doing and "float" the highlights - create edges if you have to.  butt up shades that are slightly farther apart than you think.  you have to do this for definition and a general answer to awkward shapes.  this is regardless of how smooth a form is : good softness of form is created not so much by physical distance between shades as it is by RBG closeness.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline RobbieE

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 06:15:48 am
Thanks balls01, I'll try to work on the tank top some time soon but I'm gonna have to finish my workings on this for the day due to other commitments >:(

@ndchristie

Yeah the lighting is a bit troublesome but it's what attracted me to the photo in the first place. So I must like the pain haha.

Are you saying what I'm currently is floating the volumes? I can kind of understand what you mean by that but the rest of confused the hell out of me, Would you mind showing me what you meant by that or if theres any other pieces that show what you mean that I could look at?

Sorry if I'm being annoying I just find it easier to learn by seeing things in action.

Thanks,
RobbieE