AuthorTopic: My first runcycle (nudity, i'll dress her up later)  (Read 6708 times)

Offline mirage

• View Profile

My first runcycle (nudity, i'll dress her up later)

on: April 22, 2007, 08:18:54 pm
After my discontinued animated avatar i wanted to try something more ambitious, so here you go:

Doesn't look too smooth, but i've restricted myself to 6 frames for this one

Reference taken from, and heavily influenced by, the 'King of fighter' series for neo-geo

I don't want CC on each frame, as it's still a WIP and i know some bits look weird, i only want comments about the general animation and what i might do to improve

Ta

Offline morfius

• View Profile

Re: My first runcycle (nudity, i'll dress her up later)

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:54:32 pm
I think the spastic effect makes it look quite good.

One thing you could do is shorten th legs and make her hair flow a bit more in the animation.

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 09:46:16 pm
I feel the head is not on the same proportion than the body, and I feel a neck is missing.

I like the kof style shading.

SAIKO-BOOOORU!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:49:55 pm
I don't really like the run animations of KoF, and it shows here you inspired off them. I don't like the fact that it looks so mirrored. It creates a lot of confusion.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:13:57 pm
I think the spastic effect makes it look quite good.
Ew.

Ok...um...well, it's way too jerky.
Her head is tiny.
Umm...There's one frame with each foot just kicking forward...looks wierd and snappish, since all the other frames are at <90 degrees.
Her arms are snappy too. Not a bad thing, I guess, 'cause snap gives character, but...snapping and jerking are two different things, and this whole animation is just to jerky for my liking.
I've never really played KoF, so I don't know if that's how the anims were in the game, but it seems really off to me.
Also, she's really limping. For her leg movements to be so symmetrical, her head bob sure is...jerky and spastic and, well, not that tasty. Also, her hair seems to be unaffected by all the jostling her body's doing.
Why do her hands open and close?

Offline mirage

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 08:09:30 pm
Quick edit to address some of the more obvious errors:

old:   

new:

Since the headbounce was bothering me the most i shortened the legs in some frames so the head could come down, thus reducing the bounciness... This has also reduced the limp a little bit, but i kinda like the limp because this animation is supposed to be run a little bit faster and it's supposed to look like a quick power-run, so i don't mind a little spasm in there

I don't want to change the global length of the legs, nor do i want to change the size of the head... they're all part of what makes KoF look like KoF

I can see why it might look mirrorred, i'll fix that as soon as i put some clothes on her, not now

Finally, the issue with the hair not looking fluid... i've seen a lot of animations with fluid sine-like hair and it always looks wrong to me... big chunks of hair are a lot heavier than cloth and they're pulled down by gravity a lot more... maybe somebody else would like to comment on this? (I do agree that the big black area is too static at the moment)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:21:48 pm by mirage »

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:20:33 pm
now it definatly looks like she's hurt her leg or something..
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 09:01:09 pm
uhm, I guess your refference is Angel?

well, I can tell you have put thought into it, but you are too blinded by thinking too much about how you "should" animate, or how other people do it to really see what you are doing.

The frames themselves separatedly dont look wrong, but you need to work on the frames as a group, you need to think about how the current frame leads into the next, you need to do things the eye can keep track of

Specially with that bouncing, it might be correct to think up of an animation like that, but it does not work when you have a frame drop up and down 5 pixels per frame, people just cant keep track of that

Let's just put it this way
Angel still works as a sillouethe
Your animation doesnt.

here's a suggestion its just a quick brush-in drag&drop job, hope its usefull....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:15:12 pm by Conceit »

Offline mirage

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 10:07:49 pm
Thanks, Conceit... That actually makes a lot more sense as opposed to the other posts just saying 'it's wrong' and nothing else... that's exactly why i asked people to look at the animation and not the individual frames

I'll have a good look again at the animation tomorrow

Thanks again

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 11:07:23 pm
wow, so your "refference" was athena.

Uh, mirage while you did say this was
Reference taken from, and heavily influenced by, the 'King of fighter' series for neo-geo
This is a bit much
the face is not refferenced, it is a straight pixel by pixel copy/paste. Not only that, practically the only thing you did was  stripping Athena, giving her a dye and some humongous feet.

I dont even know WHY you would base it off Athena, her run isnt very good, its got that exact same weird hiccup quality..I'd bet it originally had more frames but they cut it because of some production issue. From your avatar, you REALLY dont seem like someone who couldnt atleast redraw closely, whitout straight off editing from her.

just...what the hell? its specially weird because you ask for critique on the motion.....if you wanted us to make a comercial crit on Athena's run you could've just posted the sprite :p
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:22:21 pm by Conceit »