AuthorTopic: [WIP] A Life Goal In Progress :P  (Read 2512 times)

Offline DemyWise

• View Profile

[WIP] A Life Goal In Progress :P

on: December 10, 2007, 12:06:50 am
'Elo. I've had a sort of life goal to run a small ORPG for going on seven years now. During those seven years I've quit and started on it numerous times and am starting the cycle once more. The only difference is I am pixeling my own graphics, rather than using others (naughty I know), and I've no idea how to pixel or the techniques associated with it, just a perfectionist approach to delete anything that's more or less unappealing ^_^. Hopefully I'll go into this an amateur and come out somewhat seasoned.

This is what I have so far working at 16 x 16 (Each tile/sprite/item is 32 x 32) and I double up the size when I'm finished. I noticed at 32 x 32, a lot of people like to outline objects to make them stand out on the screen.. should I follow suite? Cheers in advance!

By the way! Nice to meet everybody. I've always loved coming to this site and viewing everyone's work, never signed up before  ;D.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] A Life Goal In Progress :P

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 12:11:53 am
Welcome!

You don't have to pre-zoom your images, the site has a built in zoom function (Just click on the image, and ctrl+click to unzoom)
That said. your tiles have discrepancies on the outer edges that make the borders look obvious when tiled. A good way of getting rid of this is to have patterns that carry on from one side to the other.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:17:49 am
Couple questions, what kind of view do you intend to use? Is this typical top-down of most RPGs?

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but you have an odd thing in your grass tiles where you've used smaller, 1x1 pixels next to the double-sized pixels. It's not forbidden to do this, but it looks inconsistent and isn't something you would see anyone around here doing.

I would encourage you to put these different elements into a mockup. I always make mockups when I do tiles, and I think it's a good practice that lets you realistically see how they would look. It's also helpful, because it makes it easier to separate the foreground(trees, player, certain walls) and background(grass, dirt) tiles. It's very common to see someone start off with grass tiles, and make them super-contrasty and brighter than the player character and other foreground objects.

Offline DemyWise

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:51:08 am
I'm restricted to Top-down unfortunately. The single pixels scattered throughout the tiles are actually not something I did  :P, when I clicked to zoom I noticed them as well (maybe saving them as a .gif?).

I'm trying to get the hang of patterns. There is always seems to be a problem spot and when you fix it you form another. I was going for a dark environment with odd plant life whilst trying to make it look classic as well. And sorry about the zoom ~_~.