AuthorTopic: [WIP] Cyclops boss sprite  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Nefarious

• View Profile

[WIP] Cyclops boss sprite

on: October 22, 2009, 10:03:19 pm
 This has been a work in progress for me for the last four days, about 3 hours a day +.  Atm there is 3 shades of green, 3 shades of brown (which are in the belt/pants, and i was  planning on using them for hair as well); black for the outline, and white for the eye. Ive shaded the upper torso, and back legs but im hitting a wall on the front/leg and side/leg animations.

This is my second "near completion" sprite, and probably my 3rd or fourth animation so some pointers on that would be helpfull as well. Theres currently 3 frames of animation.  Leftstep/Cross/Rightstep.  I had alot of trouble getting the middle animation right. anways

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Thanks ptoing :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:24:40 pm by Nefarious »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP] Ogre boss sprite

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:11:04 pm
You have to set the url of the actual image, not some html or php path to it, that wont work.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Cyclops boss sprite

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:47:35 pm
Right now the animation is extremely choppy. You should consider adding some in-betweener frames there to make the movement smoother.

He's kind of thin for a cyclops, no? One is accustomed to see these as huge muscular brutes. He seems like a young specimen, and unfortunately not very fit for a big bad boss; but that's just my opinion.

The earrings are hard to identify as rings, they look sphere-shaped from size 1. To solve this you should try a darker color (maybe orange) and perhaps outlining them?

You did say the sprite was not finished, but the legs appear very flat in most views, and so does the rest of the sprite. You will probably need a darker blue/green tone to define the volume more and fight that flat look.

In the back look, the legs suffer from pillow shade. You shouldn't use highlights so low in the sprite, far away from the light source which is above the sprite if I am correct? The highlights on the shorts also appear out of place.

Finally, while the front view torso appears rather well done (the pectorals may be too square), the back doesn't look well at all.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 10:36:01 am
The problem I have with this is a common one. How can he be walking without ever lifting one of his feet?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:51:16 pm
But it's a great threshing snow animation! Put some snow shoes on that bad boy, paint him white and just call him a yheti, or an albino cyclops and you'll've averted any need to redraw the frames. K, maybe not. Hi there. Nice work Justin, there is plenty o' improvemental room howeva.

<<CRITBARF ACTIVATE>>
looks likes a human doll base used to make a cyclopi, why else would he look so human? Those proportions are nothing like the cyclopi of lore. Give angus some beef
rear and front are seemingly at 3/4 perspective, left and right are straight-on view
rear view frames: spine is detailed with an odd pattern that doesn't move as he does; strange effect. legs highlighted/pillow shadery copiously, other legs aren't. no elbows, arms like like clay tubes, no discernable muscle groups, torso too straight/board-like, no ears
frontal view frames: eye is easily mistaken for a mouth, legs twist, feet angle outward but don't in other views, knees look like kneepads, crotch is identical to his arse, in fact the stylish medieval clothsack shorts look identical in front and back, no ears
left/right view frames: mirrored with frames staggered differently? I think this is acceptable. His legs simply switch positions as they move back and forth - I mean the sillouette doesn't change, you've simply changed their stacking order to make them look like they overlap eachother, forearms and upper arms' lengths differ from view to view
Where's his club? These guys always have huge blunt type weapons. Unarmed and as thin as he is, he doesn't pose much threat, especially with that happy bounce in his step, hehe.

<PULL LEVER>

The classic Jason and the Argonauts cyclops, love the inverted goat legs

Hmm, he's not that beefy actually. Ripped, but not bulky. I still say go for more of an ogre's anatomy.