AuthorTopic: Greetings everyone  (Read 2946 times)

Offline ModernZombie

• View Profile
    • Professional Portfolio

Greetings everyone

on: August 29, 2008, 05:26:08 pm
Hello there. I recently stumbled upon this great community and decided I would like to get involved. Im a long time artist and designer but pixel art has always fascinated me. Unfortunately I do not get alot of opportunity to actually do any of it since all of my creative energy is usually spent at work, but, you all have inspired me to get back on the horse. So, here are a few small pieces I have done in the past few years, most still works in progress, but I figure it will be a good place to start. Thanks for having me, I am looking forward to pushing pixels again!

Game concept art wip. Based on the art style of Metal Slug, we were working on making a game that is isometric that works like a social networking site. This is a test of an outside of the post office and a general character model. The setting would be a future WW2 mixture, similar to the SF3D series of models.

Basic character model from 4 angles. The characters were meant to be squat and cartoony.

The first two things I ever did in pixels, mostly just as a test to see how it was done.

The GI JOE Headquarters for a pixel city collaboration from a few years back. I have the Thundercats base as well but its really too awful to show :P

Thanks everyone, critiques welcome, I really want to get back into doing this on a hobby basis and am looking for any guidance I can get.

Also, I did a few games for Altoids a few years ago that are all pixel. They are mostly "rips" of other games as mandated by the client. Just be forewarned that you will recognize some of the elements from other games. If this is inappropriate I will remove the links.

http://altoids.com/play.do?id=17962
http://altoids.com/play.do?id=17961

-Geo 'aka' ModernZombie

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:19:21 pm by ModernZombie »

Offline zi

• I wish you success :)
    • View Profile
    • just one account :)

Re: Greetings everyone

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:30:20 pm
will comment first work:

have too many independent pixels, also walls need depth in fugues and some contrast and light to show source of light, also bracket over the doors - one vertical column is in front him one is behind, must clear lines - see low part of the door near to the frame, need some thickness - see bracket of the windows, need some details everywhere and shadows, windows of the doors are confusing, lineart of the doors frames are wrong and that 3 vertical lines in right part of the doors are too many.

=====================
:) GDGB :)

Offline ModernZombie

• View Profile
    • Professional Portfolio

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:58:03 pm
Thanks. I never actually worked on any shading for the piece and I definitely agree with the angles and the doors. This is something I would love to revisit just to finish because I like the style. The Metal Slug games are really what inspires me to do pixel work. Reminds me of all the video games I played growing up like Fallout and the more detailed cinematic screens of the old Sierra games. Thanks again, any feedback is welcome.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 06:45:31 am
He is a world war 2 pilot right? <assuming those are goggles in his head>

I know that the style is kinda realistic but I hope this helps. I gave your character a dynamic stance, reduced and changed the colors around 16, added the green lines as a guide for proper alignment of the characters body parts.

There are some things that still bugged me specially the jacket. Final edit  :)

-hi momos and batugs-
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:33:44 pm by Froli »