AuthorTopic: [QUESTION] different scales between character and background?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile
Hi! I have a game idea in mind and I'm in the process of creating and animating the game's art. I have one question to ask. Is it possible to use a different scale for the background and the character, or does it have to be the same to look ok? In other words can I have a normal background whilst my character a low res but re-scales sprite on top of that background?

In short I'd like to make 32*32 tiles with a 16*16 character blown up 2 times

I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Hugo.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:50:53 pm by Hoogo »

Offline Curly

• View Profile
You can try, but it looks cheap and ugly in all the cases I've seen. Making 16x16 tiles will take you a lot less time.

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile
Thanks for your reply. I was just wondering. That doesn't surprise me.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website
Agreed with Curly. Mismatched pixel scales generally look ugly, and you should avoid them unless you have a very good reason to use them.

Also, I recommend posting threads like this in General Discussion. This Pixel Art forum is part of the critique area, it's for critique of pixel art. This whole forum has a pixel art focus, so most of General Discussion is also about pixel art.

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile
Also, I recommend posting threads like this in General Discussion. This Pixel Art forum is part of the critique area, it's for critique of pixel art. This whole forum has a pixel art focus, so most of General Discussion is also about pixel art.

Thank you for your feedback! Also thanks, I'll keep that in mind for later posts, I didn't really know where to post this :)