AuthorTopic: Floating Robot Energy Ball Throw Animation [C+C][WIP]  (Read 11163 times)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: Floating Robot Energy Ball Throw Animation [C+C][WIP]

Reply #30 on: June 04, 2016, 10:40:16 am
I've reworked the animation and I have these two now. How do they look? The previous animation was looking to quick and jumpy. I think I'll stick with the one with less frames.

So regarding animation, speed timing, etc, I have a question. What's better, adding frames to the animation to make it longer or changing the delay/ timing of each frame to make it longer? What's the difference and do game engines know the difference between what I'm doing?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #31 on: June 04, 2016, 11:18:58 am
for programming purposes it usually doesn't read frame durations, i think. so you might want to stick with more frames.

aseprite has an automatic spritesheet export function to assist with that.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 09:18:36 am
Thanks Mystery. Good to know aseprite has that automatic function. Would that feature happen to work with the free version of aseprite?

Here are some new animations! So this character is also suppose to obstruct the players path somehow. I made it so that the robot discharges a sort of electrical field/barrier from it's bottom that blocks and damages the player. I animated a small descent with an explosion/releasing of the electrical barrier and the sort of "idle" animation where the robot stays in place, blocking the player. I'm happy with both of animations but I'd appreciate any critiques or thoughts about the art!

Since the robot flies around and levels could be any size, I decided to make the barrier a tilable sprite/animation. I also made little animating sprites for where the barrier hits the ground and shoots out from the robot. I like the looping animation for the actual electric barrier but not so much the two little sprites (I'm less concerned about with the sprite that shoots from the robot though). I'd could really use some advice on how to animate smooth, short looping frames. The ground barrier loop is looking to jumpy and sputtery. Also, not sure if I'll use the orange or the white for the electricity. What's more electricity-like?

I think I'm pretty much 100% done with this project after I finish the palette/shading, the sfx animations (barrier, energy ball, etc)I have another idea where the torso of the robot would slowly spin around and go faster and faster, throwing out energy balls everywhere but I've got other things I want to work on .

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:29:15 am by heyguy »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 09:50:54 am
ok I'm sorry, BUT....

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 09:51:57 am
joking about the color choice there aside though, I DO think aseprite's free version does that. you should see an export sprite sheet option under the File dropdown, IIRC.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 10:43:39 pm
Lol!!! Great pic!!! Seriously, I die laughing every time I look at it!!

Ok, yeah...so guess my character has an interesting...design...flaw(?). I changed the energy/electric field/barrier so it looks less goofy I think! I made two variations of the descent and energy release animation too. Which one looks better? I think the first one. I just realized I can add a little shake to robot on  the energy release animation too.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 11:20:14 pm
I'd say the old effect was more visually arresting, try doing a blue recolor of it and see how that turns out.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 01:24:44 am
Yah, maybe the other one is more visually interesting but I don't think it was selling the "barrier/force field" effect. Also, I thought maybe I could reduce my animation workload by creating some simpler effects. My aim was always to create simple Megaman X type animations (that way I can pump out artwork faster) but I also want to push myself and exaggerate and show extra attention to some animations. I can still experiment with the previous electricity effect though, even if I don't use it with this robot, I can use it with another.

So I was having some fun and created a spin move. The robot would spawn energy balls from its hand and shoot them at all angles and speeds. The balls would move slower than the baseball pitch.

A poster from another forum suggested I make energy come out from the robots hands to really sell the unblockable barrier effect so I created an animation for that too. I really want to go with this animation since it could potential look visually dynamic (and make up/distract from the simpler barrier fx :P). Right now, the pose is looking very stiff though. I originally thought the shoulder pads shouldn't move since it kept things consistent-looking while animating. But maybe they should move when positioning the arms for the "barrier blast" animation? Hopefully it won't look weird.

Again, I really don't want to create too many frames or go too expressive with some animations. Maybe this one can be one of the little simpler ones. Is there a middle ground between simpler/minimal frames of animation and interesting, expressive animation with character? Hopefully one or two extra arm frames of animations can achieve what I'm going for. I imagine an cool pose, little details and interesting special effects can make an animation look pretty epic, even if it has minimal frames. I'd appreciate any feedback, help on animation or thoughts on how I can fix the pose.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:31:36 am by heyguy »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 01:52:30 am
looks like some solid ideas to me, man!