AuthorTopic: Sprite - Help with hands :[  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Sprite - Help with hands :[

on: May 10, 2006, 02:14:12 am

Well, I just started this piece a little while ago, but I'm already having trouble - I can't seem to make hands.  I've looked at real hands, but I'm aiming for a cartoony style, so it didn't help much.  Any tips?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Sprite - Help with hands :[

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 02:46:14 am
Referencing real hands should help you anyway. Fingers, palm, thumb. Just look up fists and take the basic structure that makes you identify it as a hand then stylize it utilizing those structures. But yeah, pixelling hands generally is really hard anyway, so g'luck with that. The rest looks cool. I must say, though, that it looks quite wierd having a belly that just dissappears like that. Also, his legs look like they are being seen from different perspectives the way they are rotated like that in relation to one another. Good thus far, though.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:16:09 am
Yeah, I guess I just need to practice hands some more.  It's not too hard when I'm drawing with a pencil, but pixeling them is frustrating.  Anyway, your crits really helped either way; I didn't notice that his belly just disappeared and it sort of looks like he's jumping now.  Thanks, I'll fix it up.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:16:14 pm
I hope don't mind edits, 'cause I did one:

So, this is the direction I would go with the hands; cartoony, fattish, and really more symbolic/iconic than really resembling anything close to human hands (but obviously, you should spend more time and make em prettier than I did ;))
I also added highlights to certain parts which, in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have done (since this is obviously in progress and you may have been getting to that yourself).

As far as actually drawing hands goes, yeah... I'll just second what Xion said, and what you agreed with, which is that pixelling hands can be is a total pain, and practice never hurts. I find that when I'm trying to learn to draw something I'm not experienced with, doing several different pieces in which I can focus on the subject in question helps break up the monotony of pure repetition (so, for example, draw a whole bunch of interesting/fun people pics, and focus a lot of attention on the hands).

Whatever you end up doing, best of luck.

EDIT:
I also added a possibility for the stomach/chest. Dunno if it's what you had in mind, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Also, my highlights look plasticy and wrong, so ignore them for the most part ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:19:14 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 01:29:44 am
Damn, that looks really good.  I don't mind the edits, it actually helps.  I'm going to try what you said and make some hand pieces, so hopefully it will help.  As for the most part, I don't want to keep the exact hands that you made because I'll feel as if I asked someone to do it for me.  I'll definitely edit though.  And as for the stomach, that's exactly what I had in mind.  Also, about the highlights, I wasn't going to add some because I'm practicing off old street fighter sprites, and they didn't have any.  I'll definitely add my own, though, since it gives a nice touch.  Thanks!

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 05:09:14 pm
Mumtazzzz great improvements man!
I dont have any useful cirtis but I wanna see this piece finished!
Good luck brother!

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 11:16:02 pm
Thanks!  Inshallah, I'll finish it.  I'm kind of busy right now.