AuthorTopic: Criticize My Work :)  (Read 4403 times)

Offline nudolce

• View Profile

Criticize My Work :)

on: May 23, 2011, 08:26:09 pm
Hi there!

I'm a new member to this forum, and am interested alot in pixel and wish to improve in it badly. I'll post some of my work and I need some criticism on them.

You can view more in here: LINK

Offline Absconditus

• Newbie Pixel
    • View Profile

Re: Criticize My Work :)

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:51:05 pm
I'm by no means an expert, but I like your minimalistic style - wich gives a good sense of details with limited colors used. Liking your palettes.

If I were to criticize on anything - it'd perhaps be when looking at the potion bottle, as I assume it's supposed to showcase bubbles, but it rather ends up looking like snowflakes, with the white lines in there. Perhaps add a white line around one of the edges like you did on the cup to make it look more like "shiny" glass? I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to editing the image in order to show what I mean:

Keep up the good work, these are cute and good looking icons.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:31:55 pm by Absconditus »

Offline nudolce

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 06:22:31 am
First of all, I'm thankful for your reply.
About the blue potion I understood what you meant, and I saw the difference between the one you edited and the one I created. Yours seems to have more details than mine.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:35 am
If you look at it you'll notice the edit actually has alot less detail. All he did was cut down the number of bubbles and add a light reflection on the outside of the bottle. :]

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:28:14 am

Here's an edit I've done; I suggest you use some reference of liquid in a glass container. The main thing you gotta do is know its coming from a light source. The water wouldn't just go from dark to light like a gradient (except in very, very certain circumstances). It'd also be wiser to work within a gray-ish background, instead of white; helps see values more clearly, and plus, you can outline with things other than dark colors.

Offline pikminboy111

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 03:51:33 am
i think you need more work on your lollipop. from what i can see it looks like a piece of paper on a stick.
i assume your going for a fat UFO look. if so you need to highlight were the out crop is. and shade underneath to give it a 3D spherical shape.
just a touch up is all you need, even before hand was really good. its just when i looked closer.

Offline nudolce

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:59:07 pm
Thanks alot guys for your comments regarding my pixels.

bengoshia:
The pixel you edited seems to have too much details that makes it a little bit hard to find out exactly what it is. I love the shading that you did and how you colorized it. If I was to do the same it definitely will take me decades to be that good :D

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 07:05:51 pm
Thanks alot guys for your comments regarding my pixels.

bengoshia:
The pixel you edited seems to have too much details that makes it a little bit hard to find out exactly what it is. I love the shading that you did and how you colorized it. If I was to do the same it definitely will take me decades to be that good :D

In my opinion it looks fine, and not to sound offensive, definitely better than yours. But don't worry. With some effort, you could reach that stage in a matter of a few years or even less, if you try hard enough.

With that, well, let's see what you need work on... (This tutorial is something you want to look at to understand the terms.)

-Outlines, although faint and colored, are still visible.

-Banding. Not necessarily pillow-shading, as on all pieces save for the vial suggest a light-source coming to the right.

-Palette lacks contrast. Furthermore it's just a straight ramp from dark to light, no variation in hues.

There are probably more problems which aren't that apparent to me as per the moment, but until then here's a quick edit of your lollipop (which almost doesn't look like a lollipop).

Redid palette, added a highlight to suggest glossiness, made some of the stick visible inside the lollipop to suggest transparency. Since I've never actually seen lollipops like yours before, went with a sphere with a band in its midsection.

Offline nudolce

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:38:51 pm
pistachio :
Thanks alot for your tips and the link. I peaked at it and it's truly helpful :D.
Also, I like what you did with my lollipop :)
I'll definitely learn more and create even better pixels  :)