AuthorTopic: Some old poop  (Read 3728 times)

Offline wingwagger

• View Profile

Some old poop

on: November 25, 2012, 02:57:39 pm
These are just some old sprites i did out of boredom and never finished :
Edge from Rival Schools

Shang Tsung

Some sprite I tried helping someone out with

Space Ghost

All these  sprites are from scratch besides the sprite I didn't start myself (the third one).
this was suppose to be CPS3 Edge but I never finished, I might come back to it sometime soon

Cinder from KI

IDK what this was, I just went with the flow and came up with this

I did the same with this

Paul Phoenix SvC styled portrait I never finished

Now to go back when I was doing sprite edits.
CvS Oswald

CvS Fei-Long

CvS Whip

I'm kinda not happy with the results of any of these but hey, you live and you learn.

I'm trying to motivate myself to get back into pixel art, but don't know where to even start at :-\

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Some old poop

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:50:47 am
First, those are some neat fighter sprites there, they seem to fulfill their purpose.
Now for suggestions to liven things up a little, why dont you change subject matter and frame of reference?

All you've posted here is fighter characters in various fight game styles.

Pixelart is a subset of graphic art and nothing is really set, you've made the common practices of fightgame sprites your frame of reference for pixelart, and burly guys your sole subject matter.
Check most of the top pixelart on Pixeljoint, nobody could tell you what style it is...apart maybe from the style of the guy who did it.
From my point of view just fighter stuff would seem pretty constricting, but maybe it's not like that at all from your point of view, so just my 2cents

I would try to translate some style that I like that isnt pixelart into pixelart...it usually isnt succesful but boy do I ever get obsessed about pics where I do that :p atleast it'd give me some enthusiasm.
Also, have you tried animation? it's always struck me as really weird when people do sprites but only one frame per character...maybe that's what you're missing.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:52:21 am by Conceit »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Some old poop

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:33:17 am
For me it's not even the subject matter. You want to do fighter sprites? That's fine and great. However you're masking fundamental inadequacies by mimicking styles of fighter sprite art. You do not know anatomy yet, you should put a lot of work into that instead of into making a fei long in a cvs style or whatever. I am not trying to be mean-spirited or anything, it's just immediately apparent to me that you're focusing on things that will hinder your progress. Figure drawing! Construction! Light! Forget fighter sprites for now, if you want to progress fast. If you do not and you just want to make sprites that look like other sprites, you can carry on how you are now and in 5 years or so you will be able to do a pretty good copy of those styles and only that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:34:57 am by Helm »