AuthorTopic: Dirt with grass / plants  (Read 4170 times)

Offline r0ber7

• Inspired by pixels.
    • View Profile

Dirt with grass / plants

on: May 26, 2012, 09:40:27 pm
Hey,

Here's something I made for my game.

Here's a timelapse of the creation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOomuEDap94

I enjoyed making the timelapse, it's fun to see. If anyone has any suggestions (I'm still learning in shading) let me know. I have to be honest though, since I'm making a game that requires a lot of graphics I can't keep editing every single thing I make once I get better at something. If I would, it would never get done. :P Anyway, had fun making this. :)

Offline jmbcreativeart

• Pixelpolisher
    • View Profile
    • Pennans Vandring

Re: Dirt with grass / plants

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:07:29 am
Good job.

I think you need to establish a light source and add highlights/lighter values on the side facing that and shadow/darker values on the side turning away from it. Here's a really old, lo-contrast and not very well-rendered shading study I drew once that still might help you with placement of values.

A good practice routine and warm-up I use is to draw (pencil on paper) the three basic shapes - sphere, cube, cylinder - establishing a main light source and shading them in tone. Hope that helps :)

Blog: pennvandring.blogspot.com
Portfolio: mburen.daportfolio.com

Offline r0ber7

• Inspired by pixels.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Thanks, I will be working on this for a little more later today I think. Shading is still something I haven't mastered yet. :)

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:55:07 am
What you need to do is establish a set light source. Right now, the leaves have the same shade all the way through. Instead of rendering each leaf individually, pixel in clusters of shades and highlights. Have a definite separation between light and dark. Look at some references. Good luck :D