AuthorTopic: Enemy Spaceship explode  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Enemy Spaceship explode

on: April 23, 2006, 08:24:11 am
 Just some explosion animation for a spaceship in a game I've been planning. C+C would help.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Enemy Spaceship explode

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:53:23 pm
it looks fine from here, but if you are going to post and animation, its good to actually past and animation if you want critique, or at least an organized filmstrip
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 10:27:48 pm
 Your spelling is incorrect. Little hard for me to get what you mean from here. Looks like this sentence has 2 meanings?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 10:33:52 pm
He's saying if you want a critique on an animation you should post it as an animation, not the frames by themselves.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 10:51:23 pm
I do like pixelled explosions like this.  Some guidance for these though, because they will be EXACTLY the same everytime a ship explodes you should avoid really asymmetrical explosions and try to stick with as general as possible (fairly centered and even).  For instance, the explosion you have drawn here, with the two initial blooms, I would try to implement in software via a particle engine, with each small bloom as a seperate explosion generated in a random position on the enemy. 
Maybe some rays beaming out of (or before) the initial blooms and rotating to give the full jap explosion effect?

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:19:10 pm
Ah thanks. So does that mean the two blooms should have the same size and stay on the center of the ship?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:37:10 pm
yes, what i ment was, if you are looking for a critique on an animation, you should post the animation, or at least an organized filmstrip.  this is not organized into useable cells, so.........like i said, the stills look fine

my suggestion to you is that, since this explosions has little or nothing to do with the ship, just make a large number of explosion animations and in the game select one at random from a set of explosions of the same relative size of the ship and just destroy the ship instance as the explosion happens
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 11:41:53 pm
if they are not being rendered on top of the enemy as a seperate sprite, then yes, I believe slightly more centered would be good. Slight variation is good, just keep in the mind the more unique the explosion the quicker it will become noticably repetitive.

here are the options, in order of preference (mine)

1.  Seperate explosions, rendered in a random fashion at run time, allowing variable / random size, speed and position
2.  Several pre-drawn explosions, randomly selected at render-time to add a bit of variation
3.  Fairly centered/symmetrical/logical (eg.  explosion starts on engines, then cabin explodes, then chassis)