AuthorTopic: Game art (my first post)  (Read 4993 times)

Offline turbo lazer 68K

• View Profile

Re: Game art (my first post)

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:49 pm

Okai so this is my first rushy ediiit.

Like earlier posters i agree that the reliance on thicc black outlines is too heavy, especially on the trees.

What happened in a way is that the greeny/turquoise color gradient and the black lines dividing individual 'branches' actually look very separate from each other. Instead just use outline only around the tree and try to sculpt out individual leafs/branches using only light and shadow.
The 6 colours used in the ramp is a bit much i think, 4 could be just enough (not shur tho).
The outline at the bottom of the tree is better of removed so it blends with the ground it grows from instead of isolating itself as a separate entity.

The last little thing i thought could be improved (it's more of an idea than something than a conrete crit thou) are the very sharp shadows - when i look at the color palette of the entire screen, i get an impression of a cloudy british type weather, and when it's cloudy like that, the shadows are quite dissolved, not sharp like during a cloudless afternoon (so in my little rushed edit i made a little dithering on the edges  :crazy:).

On a side note, I like the walls of the house - the turquoise colour ramp is very interesting and avoids looking entirely linear, it's a bit more... dusty   :) . The little cracks and irregularity adds a lot to the piece!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:07:06 pm by turbo lazer 68K »

Offline Lockwork

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 01:30:50 am
Hey, Lockwork. Could you give me an updated picture of the original (after my advice)? I'd love to see your progress.

Thanks,
Krizpp

edits on the trees and house. added some other tiles as well. thanks for all the feedback guys!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 06:58:59 am
Definitely looking better, though some objects still stick out a bit. Try going over the wall brickwork some, try to keep as much black out of the middle of sprites as possible!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |