AuthorTopic: Cave tiles for a puzzle/rpg game [C+C]  (Read 3346 times)

Offline zinnfandel

• View Profile

Cave tiles for a puzzle/rpg game [C+C]

on: September 10, 2013, 12:05:55 pm
Hello!
I'm working on a puzzle game in which you create your on path in a cave environment. I've left the black cave tile borders visible for that reason, because the player clicks on them to create the paths.
I would really appreciate some critique or just point out anything that looks wrong. Been staring at this for too long.
There's going to be objects on the ground as well, which the character will pick up as she walks.
I tried different things with the ground, leaning towards the right most piece with the shallow cracks, but I'd love to hear any thoughts. References would rock too!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:33:49 pm by zinnfandel »

Offline zinnfandel

• View Profile

Re: Cave tiles for a puzzle/rpg game [C+C]

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 03:06:46 pm
A little update.
Added two potion variation (which are the puzzle items) and entrance/exit tiles.

Does the character look horribly too big? Any suggestions...? I don't want to draw the character in a smaller resolution (it's 48 px).
All this page is double-sized, is this something you do?
I wanted to keep the pixelly look and also I do not feel confident making bigger sprites yet, but I don't want a tiny-looking game.
It's supposed to run at 640x480.

thanks a bunch for any comment, I already learned so much from this forum, love this place   ;D

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:36:38 pm
I think you chose  the right part of your rock floor to tile though it can still use some work.
Yeah sorry mate she's too big and the doors are way too small.
They're like 32x32px tiles so why don't you let the door fill the whole tile space?
It would look better if she was smaller too IMO.

I think the grid you have going on between the rock blocks is ugly but then again maybe its useful for the gameplay i dunno.
Ugh its too late here to help any more  :blind:

Offline Polioliolio

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:39:06 pm
This may have been a style choice, and what you have may even be better, but have you considered making the cave wall tiles a little taller?

The character doesn't have to look as if she can fit through the door, it is stylized obviously, but maybe make something smaller or larger relative to the other.

Looks good though!!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 04:46:08 pm

30-seconds sizes edit. I don't understand the choice of that obviously-repeating "not walkable" tile.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:13:05 am
I don't understand the choice of that obviously-repeating "not walkable" tile.
The only thing I can think is to help the player see the grid since you can create your own path through the blocks.
But I agree it would look much nicer without it.
Also with the large 32x32 (x2) tiles the screen is filled very quickly, limiting your gameplay options.
This may be fine for what you need but if everything was 16x16 you could fit heaps more stuff on screen.
The cave wall looks pretty nice but as mentioned its too short for her, she looks like she could just climb up and walk across the top.
Also try connecting the top of the cliff face with the top of the block instead of having a dark purple line just severing the 2 textures.