AuthorTopic: SprayK47  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

SprayK47

on: May 13, 2007, 09:21:51 pm

13 colors.

I've been trying to move away from achieving realism and more towards making something that's actually usable (Hopefully eventually sprite-like...:P)
The current thing that bothers me is the Krylon can--I can't make it look like a can of spray paint for the life of me...I do have 3 more colors to play with, keep in mind.
As for the background; it's more of a temporary thing...I needed something other than black...I'll probably change it to something more interesting.  I'm getting to the actual stream of paint to....just had to post this to motivate me to finish :P.

But anyways....destroy me with brutal comments and critiques!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: SprayK47

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:50:44 pm

...Just kidding.

Pretty nice looking, i like the metal effect you achieved on the gun, and the can also looks very nice, lots of detail on a small space.

I'd elongate the back of the gun more, stretch it back some, everything from the trigger (including it) to the back would go left about 5-10 pixels. Also, the handle looks very small. On the tip, i'd move away from the black outlines, and use just a small rectangle and some suggestion of a hole (a light grey or something). Check my edit for an idea.

Also, not sure if you're heading somewhere with this, but the composition looks odd. I'd center it vertically, and place it to the left of an image being sprayed on the wall (maybe a stencil i dunno)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:40:35 am
Actually, I think he might have made it so the part where the spray can and AK meet be the focal point. It's close to one a' those natural focal point things, and everything points towards it.
What I'm saying is, the composition makes sense, to me.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:37:27 pm
>>>>>

I still have to clean up the insides of the gun after moving everything around...but Turbo, you pointing out the length issue made me notice a few other size differences.  Is it better now?
I still am depressed about the spray can though....any ideas?
Also, I think with the new bg, I may be running into some perspective issues....thoughts on that would be great.

Oh, and Sherman Gill:  ;)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 01:01:45 pm
lol.....typically, i'd avoid any compositional advice that begins with the words "center it" ^^ unless you were intentionally making it less dynamic
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:55:03 pm
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/TurboLento/Referencias/ak47.jpg

I had a different understanding of the look of the Ak47, but after checking reference i noticed you were closer in resemblance than i initially thought. The new edit looks more balanced though. Still, the length of the handle takes up 1/4 of the size of the gun's metal area (behind the front wooden holder), and has a slightly different shape (near the part where it fits into the metal).

Also, i think it would benefit of reflections similar to the reference i posted, near the muzzle and sight (i didn't understand what the black part at the end of the muzzle was until i looked at reference).

On the reference i posted, there's a 10.8 length/height ratio (ignoring the wooden butt-stock). On your version, that ratio is about 7.4. The original is slightly "taller", yours becomes slightly cartoonish, with it's current ratio. I think that was intentional, but if it's not, make it "thinner" vertically :)