AuthorTopic: Banner competition- hooded man W.I.P.  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Banner competition- hooded man W.I.P.

on: May 14, 2007, 02:05:28 am
This is for a Banner competition on a different forum.

I'd just like some C+C on the main guy unti lI've completed more.This is going to be tough, as I need to add around 10 other characters behind him, in a line, or performing other actions. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:09:51 pm by Pownatized »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: Banner competition- hooded man W.I.P.

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:44:43 am
The eyes are pretty cool. I llike the eye, but the sclera needs some white high lights. You used alot more skin tone than nesscecary, you could remove at least 1 or 2 of the darker tones. The bridge of the nose is too thin in my opinion compaired to the rets of the nose.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:10:59 pm
meh, sharp highlights occur where the surface reflects directly into the lightsource, so since there doesnt seem to be any real light source in the pic (aside from a general ambient).....no highlight.  it always bugged me when people placed those jsut because that's how they've been taught ^^

I would say to avoid stuff this size when you are getting in to pixel art (and well after that i would still avoid stuff like this - its just not condusive).  Same as everyone esle that jumps the gun, you really need work on your base drawing skills and tight pixelling skills, exploring the techniques that make both worth looking it. As far as the specifics go, i would say study anatomy (particularly of the face but if you are to have other characters than a general refresher would be in your best interest), work on value regions (jsut because everything is in shadow doesnt mean you can't have better lighting) and the relationship between pixels (hard lines are fine, but not when they get jagged - every percieved line should reinforce the forms)

I would say, if you are doing a scene, try something about GBA sized or smaller to begin with, and really make full use of a palette instead of adding a bunch of shades that you aren't using to smooth anything.

does anyone know of like, a pixel-dictionary where the basics of AA, dither, etc get covered?  If not, perhaps make that a community project?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:05:06 pm
Well, there's not much I can do about the size, as it is the required size for the competition, so I'm just going to have to give it my best shot.

Anyways, I decided to use a front-right light source; possibley the moon, or glowing light from somewhat nearby lava, so it would make things more interesting. Here's what I have:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 10:32:49 pm
i stand by everything i said before, and ill go further and say that if the competition requires pure pixelart of that size from beginners, i would urge you to join other contests and other communities.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 02:28:44 pm
I understand, but I don't think I' just going to quit... I would still appreciate some cc.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 02:32:02 pm
does anyone know of like, a pixel-dictionary where the basics of AA, dither, etc get covered?  If not, perhaps make that a community project?

such has been privately discussed, but I don't see any motivation by people to do this. It would be good to just refer people to a primer about AA dithering and such instead of typing it out every time, but then again it would be bad because people come here for personal, specific advice, not 'GO READ THIS TUTORIAL', really.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 03:14:07 pm

such has been privately discussed, but I don't see any motivation by people to do this. It would be good to just refer people to a primer about AA dithering and such instead of typing it out every time, but then again it would be bad because people come here for personal, specific advice, not 'GO READ THIS TUTORIAL', really.

wikipedia (yeah i know its evil and can be misleading), whilst isn't pixel-art specific, has a good section on AA:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing
A dictionary doesn't need to be written, the forum is the dictionary itself.  A few searches and i'm sure anyone could find what they were looking for.

Sorry to derail.

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 10:08:43 pm
I'm familiar with AA and dithering- I prefer a young, smooth surface for his skin however. As for the AA, I'm going to wait until I've finished the whole thing until doing so in case I change anything.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 01:22:35 am
I'm familiar with AA and dithering- I prefer a young, smooth surface for his skin however. As for the AA, I'm going to wait until I've finished the whole thing until doing so in case I change anything.

if you're trying to make him look younger than I think you have way too many wrinkles and detail in his face already. Also, AA will help give it a smoother look.

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 07:00:37 am
Well I've decided to move along, I've started on the second guy. ( Oops, I'll fix those things on the main guy next)

I'm somewhat pleased with how I got the shadow to look realistic, but his right side needs work.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 06:23:21 pm
Both people, the heads are about double the size they should be for the bodies and implied anatomy. It's not so bad for the original character because I thought he was a kid. But the old man in the back really suffers from this. I think hoods and shadows and capes obscure a very fundamental anatomical knowledge deficiency.

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 06:45:34 pm
Ah, I should've seen that... I suppose I should salvage some of the shading on the old man's robes, because I think the major problems are his shoulders and arms. If I make those bigger, I think it would solve the proportions issues. As for the younger guy, do you think widening his shoulders would help?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 08:00:29 pm
yes, somewhat. Also studying how to render lips, from references, will help.