AuthorTopic: Pyramids WIP v1.2  (Read 6189 times)

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Pyramids WIP v1.2

on: May 11, 2007, 06:12:48 am
This is a mock-up I'm working on.  I decided I'd try out adding some variation in my dithering in the background.  I'm going to add a hud later when I get the time and do some more overall polishing.  I don't know what I was thinking when I made this so big, but oh well.

C&C
Old:

New:

Newest:

Without heavy lines:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 06:44:06 pm by uridicy »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Pyramids WIP

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:26:17 am
only problem is that the character gets lost.  also, your pyramids are a bit steep.  In all though, very good show thusfar.

to combat both the character visibility issue and the large size issue, make the character larger
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 02:43:32 pm
I'd say dropping the saturation would really help make the pyramids seem more like a background than foreground.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 11:23:41 pm
First off, this piece looks very nice so far but suffers from some stuff:
- The AA on the pyramids really isn't working too well
- Most of the rest doesn't even have AA and seems somewhat jagged.
- Try working on your color ramps and don't have such large jumps between shades. You need buffer shades preferably.

For the background maybe try something like this:

Having the pyramids faded into the background color a little bit to show distance.

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 04:13:36 am
   I definitely see what you mean about mixing the shades of the bg with the pyramids.  That really pushes them back.  I really haven't gotten to most of the AA stuff yet.  Do you usually AA items/characters that can be against multiple backgrounds?  I was trying to imitate a style choice by using the thick lines and blocks of color on the pyramids.
   I'm not totally sure what parts need better buffering.  I've never used the terms "color ramps" and "buffering" (I really need to extend my vocabulary)  Are you saying that I need to have some kind of small gradient where I have shadows to make the transition smoother?

I'll try out those other recommendations too.  Thanks for the help guys.  ;D

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 05:13:56 am
Quote from: uridicy
Do you usually AA items/characters that can be against multiple backgrounds?
Yes and no. You would AA the interior of the sprite and could try some "selout" which a lot of people don't seem to like or maybe some light affected outlines that get lighter near the lightsource.

I was trying to imitate a style choice by using the thick lines and blocks of color on the pyramids.
If you want to do the thick outline approach similar to that of Yoshi's Island or whatever it might be best to give everything that outline (at least all the background and level elements) to keep more of a consistent style.

I'm not totally sure what parts need better buffering.  I've never used the terms "color ramps" and "buffering" (I really need to extend my vocabulary)  Are you saying that I need to have some kind of small gradient where I have shadows to make the transition smoother?
Basically the way I see it, any large color plane/block needs some sort of AA between it and the next color except in the circumstance that the colors are very close together and would not benefit from AA (or a buffer shade).

I made a little example of "color ramp" and "buffer shade" for you. In simplicity your color ramp would be, for example, all your greens from light to dark (or dark to light). Buffer shade would just be the shade that is in between two other shades.

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 07:58:49 pm
That's a great explanation.  It makes more sense now.  ;D

Here's my updated version.  I still have some work to do on AA and the wall thing on the far right, but I think the changes I made helped a lot.  I also started using custom brushes in CS2 for quick dithering.  It saved me loads of time!

Does my new cat look alright?  This character is way bigger than I'm used to.  I'm mostly wondering about the arm.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Re: Pyramids WIP v1.1

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 12:55:50 am
the new cat is defanantly an improvement, but it isnt very fluent.  hes to stiff and needs to loosen up and get in a decent idle stance.
untz untz untz?

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Re: Pyramids WIP v1.1

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 02:31:12 am
   On the bright side Egyptians are known for their stiff looking art  :D.  I see what you mean though. I'll make something more appropriate for an idle stance. 

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Re: Pyramids WIP v1.2

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 10:30:36 pm
I modified the cat so it's in an idle stance.  I also added some more outlines to make it more consistent.