AuthorTopic: another boring swordman.. :\  (Read 6196 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

another boring swordman.. :\

on: May 10, 2007, 08:04:24 am
critique please..

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: another boring swordman.. :\

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:52:46 am
Hey Kon. The small head/long neck probably intentional, a couple of other things I noticed:

• The detail/contrast level of the plaid clashes with the rest. Also I'd need to make a quick edit to see, but I'm not sure if the individual parts would join up together correctly underneath the cloth, aside from the elongated neck.
  • The outline has some weird jaggies, bumps and oddities. Was this some kind of experiment by any chance? It looks a bit like it was drawn in a single line, or large portions were. Also the dark lines on the legs make it look rather flat
  • The arm holding the sword comes out at a disadvantageous position, as a tangent to the hip
  • I find the post awkward to look at to be honest. The tip-toedness and the thrust pelvis, I don't know.
  • The upper body seems to be at slightly different angle than the part below the waistline. Here the mentioned tangent bump especially makes it look like the two parts were just stacked together there
  • The arm we can almost fully see is quite messy, the shape wonky
  • a few more nitpicks: the bump at his wrist struck me as especially off; the lachrymal-sacks are too pronounced, reading as the eyes themselves; some symmetry issues

It looks very much like a wip (and I suppose it is?). I've often enjoyed your work, but I think you've done better in exaggerated proportions before.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:43:06 am
looks nice so far.

a few things miascugh didnt say :

the rist bump isnt necessarily off, but, like many other things, too pronounced.  the deltoids too, unless armored, and the calves, and the forearm.  the legs also, you've made some tendons into muscles >.< resulting in a few things being far too pronounced - both the outside and front of the knee region have some of the bodies most tight and powerfull tendons extending down and these do a pretty good job of making that region look pretty straight.  Also, the vastus medialis (had too look that one up :P) - the inside of the right knee, is far to bulgy.

these are easy fixes for your style.  sometimes its not a bad thing to just have a nice smooth section :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 05:30:50 pm
It might just be the way that I am looking at it, but the light source seems to be different with his main body, and the  poncho type thing around his neck. His body has a light source from the right, when the poncho has it from the left. Once again might just be the way I am looking at it.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:21:17 pm
here's an update.. tried to fix the most glareing issues such as the head size, foot, arm, poncho thing..
previous: new:
any better?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 08:42:47 pm
One hand reaches to his knee fully extended, the other about crotch-level, almost a bit smaller. You should better pick one of the two approaches.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:22:26 pm

A little more conventional, some edits on the arms and foots. Got rid of the selout, it isn't working for me. Really nice piece, loving it so far!

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 11:56:15 pm
This piece looks pretty good so far. Very interesting costume choice. Somethings stick out as being a bit off.
- The poncho could really use some highlights and more depth.
- The guys nose seems pretty huge
- His hair seems to lack an outline while the rest of him has one.
- (Unless the suit is confusing me) but his right leg seems to be twisted too far outward as if it were broken.  Try turning it more inward.
- His right hand position seems a bit splayed out and somewhat unnatural.

Keep at it. Like the colors so far.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 05:03:20 am
I agree with Gil, the jagged outlines are detrimental. Other than the issues already mentioned/addressed, i think the quadriceps (vastus medialis) on the leg to the left is exagerated too much. The calf muscle (gastrocnemius) of the leg on right is also too exagerated (when i say exagerated, i mean style-disrupting exageration).

Also, the arm on the left looks broken in several places: below the deltoid, and midway through the forearm where muscle and bone meet.

Proportion wise, he looks very tall, somewhat around 2 meters high, and current muscle mass is both odd for such a tall frame, and distributed unevenly throughout his body, some places with huge bulk while others very slim. It may be style choice, but it's a disfunctional style.

The perspective seems to be inconsistant, from the waist up is different than downward from there, and changes a few times on his legs, knees, feet.

Gil addresses a left ankle brokeness issue on his edit.

Other than that, i like the suit design, the face is very nicely done, the dynamic pose, and the palette on the skin and blue parts of the suit (the brown parts look kind of washed out and monotone in comparison).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 05:50:01 am by Turbo »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 12:09:11 pm
People talk about exaggerated anatomy by Kon, but I have never seen him draw nonexaggerated anatomy. The closest I remember was some wip of a nonsaturation palette bald guy, but that was not finished as far as I remember. Therefore I am led to believe 'actual' anatomical studies have not been attempted. This is to the detriment of this piece and any other piece that will follow in this style. My advice is to do more realistic work before returing to exaggerated styles, so you can not make your errors into practises.

edit: in fact looking back a few pieces it seems the muscle fetish becomes all the more specific and convoluted. This piece is a step down from simpler forms of the past.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 12:10:58 pm by Helm »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 12:36:06 pm
As in a good carricature, it takes more than good knowledge of the subject to be able to exagerate it. I think that's not entirely the case, which is why some of the errors are happening...

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 03:21:08 pm
I think the original reads better than the new one, anatomical issues aside.

It's more interesting visually when you separated the shape of the sword from the shape of the body.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 03:54:42 pm
hm..
thanks for the comments..
yeah I wasn't paying much attention to anatomy while i was making this. I was just having fun pixeling it, but i guess it got all messed up. I also wanted to experiment with clothing, but as you can see, i'm not that great at clothing and ended up doing some weird costume thing.  :-\
now i can see what is wrong with it, but I think it would be better to just start something new since theres so many problems with it.
hm

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 12:32:23 pm
His anatomy is rather strange...the legs are the most disturbing part, IMO...
Why does it look like he's standing on his toes rather then the base of his feet (like an animal?)

Yes, his suit looks kinda...(instert Johnny bravo voice here:) "spandexeey!"

The pallete is kind-of interesting, I like it.