AuthorTopic: Mockup [WIP]  (Read 10905 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: Mockup [WIP]

Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 11:46:57 pm
Fixed those problems and added rain (25% opacity if it matters)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 12:01:59 am
You've fixed no problems as far as I've seen.
Bowsers leg is way too many pixels to the left and is still protruding out of his stomach by the tiniest joint I've ever seen.
How hard is this honestly to fix?

Your ground, first off has tumors, it doesnt read as ground very well it seems thin since their feet have a different perspective.
Your ground is flat and should tuck behind them upwards to add depth.

Get rid of the visual boy advanced shit.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 12:49:17 am

And you should lose the attitude. Here's a strike.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 04:58:50 am
You've fixed no problems as far as I've seen.
Bowsers leg is way too many pixels to the left and is still protruding out of his stomach by the tiniest joint I've ever seen.
How hard is this honestly to fix?
I moved it way to the right for one thing. If I moved it any more his leg would be portruding out of thin air. also, the bones are all based on his design so I really dont know why your attacking me on having improper bone structure when this is bowser we're talking about. His skull is fused together and he can still completely move it for pete's sake. Its not going to be realistic.
Your ground, first off has tumors, it doesnt read as ground very well it seems thin since their feet have a different perspective.
Your ground is flat and should tuck behind them upwards to add depth.
this I can fix. The ground prolly shouldn't have bumps anyway as this is a tower
why?
Edit: done
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:01:21 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 07:55:08 am
Meh, I'll take a strike to prove him wrong.

The problem with the mockup having the menu at the top is it's really distracting.
You have everything outside of the screen, but none of it put together without anything around it, so it's hard to focus on the mockup.
Or at least for me I find it distracting.

Your problem is your drawing straight from your reference and not creating your own sprite from it.
There for you're perspective is all wrong for a platformer.

As I said and will now spot out to you, his leg is being held on by the tiniest joint ever.
Move the leg on the left not the one on the right. :/
And doesn't he have a tail?

I also don't quite understand why there are stones on the top of this wall.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:00:21 am by Souly »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 03:01:33 pm
Meh, I'll take a strike to prove him wrong.

The problem with the mockup having the menu at the top is it's really distracting.
You have everything outside of the screen, but none of it put together without anything around it, so it's hard to focus on the mockup.
Or at least for me I find it distracting.

Your problem is your drawing straight from your reference and not creating your own sprite from it.
There for you're perspective is all wrong for a platformer.

As I said and will now spot out to you, his leg is being held on by the tiniest joint ever.
Move the leg on the left not the one on the right. :/
And doesn't he have a tail?

I also don't quite understand why there are stones on the top of this wall.
First off, its not a platformer. Its a fighting game (many fighting games have characters with 3/4 views).
I'll try and fix the rest
Edit:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:06:24 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Euphronios

• Ruff in the jungle
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 04:12:52 pm
The thing that stands out to me the most is the rim light. My opinion is that these sprites are too small for the rim light to be effective. It just comes off as an error; especially in the case of Mario.
For this effect to ( possibly ) work in your favor: Create a new key light somewhere in space in the direction the character is looking but slightly above. Dim significantly your current key so that it can work as your fill. This will help you to bring out the volumes more and the characters should be that much more readable. If all of this sounds absurd then simply remove the extraneous rim lighting and focus on creating better volumes with the lighting setup you've got left.

As a mockup this is pretty servile; merely following the 2d Mario formula without adding any of your own flair. I do like that you've redone Mario in your own pen. Unfortunately, it's the only element that feels creative. Apart from the resultant arguement, I can't imagine that you've invested a tremendous amount of time into this. With that, I suggest a fresh start with the current iteration of Mario as a base for the kind of distention and stylisation that will make this a piece worth your time and creative effort and also showcase for your abilities.
“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.”  ~Stephen Hawking

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 06:05:42 pm
first of all, the compo is over. Second, you're recommending I start over and completely rethink the idea? This isn't an ongoing project or anything, its just a mockup.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 10:09:22 pm
I do like that you've redone Mario in your own pen

Actually I wanted to ask about that. http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/7249.htm <- this in any case your reference?

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 10:13:32 pm
No, but after I finished I realized how similar the designs are. It might've been kinda subconscious.