AuthorTopic: Combat pose: need an help! (WIP)  (Read 5725 times)

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Combat pose: need an help! (WIP)

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 03:23:45 pm
I don't want to get into a huge debate about sword fighting here. I agree with you that it's hard to critique without knowing the context. For all we know, this dude is a demi-God who could hold his sword like the dude in Force Unleashed if he wanted to. And some people like a bit of Hollywood in their game. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a very realistic approach to third person sword fighting in games.

But just to flaunt what little I do know, the styles and techniques used in competitions such as the one I gave links to (Swordfish) are typically based on old, historical manuals, dating back to the late medieval age. That's not just because they like to play Robin Hood vs William Wallace, it's because the stuff from those manuals actually works. But the debate of whether or not techniques used by medieval duellists represents what was actually used on the battlefield has been inconclusive, I believe.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread if this information wasn't useful.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 04:59:32 pm
Sport fencing isn't always a flawless indicator of historical styles, but epee and sabre especially are somewhat linked to them, at least in the most basic way. you would have your sword raised, knees bent, and your body leaned either forward or backward about 20 degrees. I prefer the forward position.

EDIT:
Think about having the character having his weight more on one leg than the other.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:01:26 pm by Fizzick »

Offline Gamann

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 11:02:26 am
thank you very much for these new and valuable feedbacks. Regarding the discourse on realism I basically agree with you. However what we are going to do is not a combat simulator, but an adventure, where a weary hero must face enemies more and more dangerous with no rest. I think the pose of a character, especially in pixel art, must provide evidence concerning its psychology, since there is no space to suggest it with facial expressions. In this case, I prefer more a narrative approach than a simulative one. Anyway thanks a lot, I will take into account your suggestions.

Offline Gamann

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 11:09:07 am
Gil, thanks for your edit, I understand well what you mean. but I need a more " two-dimensional" solution. I will make other attempts.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 01:14:59 pm
Re: Prince of Persia

How's this?

- Your sword looks a bit like a rapier, at the moment. Which kind of conflicts with the barbarian image, but that's up to you.
- I think your pose looks more relaxed and confident rather than weary. He reminds me of Brad Pitt in Snatch, coming into the boxing ring with his hands at his waist. It does look cool though, it just doesn't look realistic. If realism isn't a concern, then I'd just keep it as it is.
- Keeping the sword in his rear hand, and standing sideways (with both feet pointing sideways, rather than towards his opponent) seems like he would have a hard time parrying attacks from the left side (i.e. on the side where he doesn't have a sword). So I changed his lead foot to point forewards. It gives a sense of focus and urgency, I think, makes him look less relaxed and confident.