AuthorTopic: [WIP] Walls, part of a tileset  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Banjooie

• View Profile

[WIP] Walls, part of a tileset

on: October 09, 2008, 06:20:58 am

Okay. Yes, it's 44x44 per tile. Don't ask. This is completely out of my control, I'm just making a mod for an independent game (that's already been released, yes, the modding is allowed, etc, this isn't based on any of their copyrighted graphics, etc.)

Basically, we can tell here that it's bland. The blank peach part isn't the issue, I can probably speckle that or add something later--there's a whole 'inner wall' section I've yet to touch. What I'm really interested in is how to make the borders and walls better. It'll be zoomed in pretty heavily, so I'd really rather like to avoid blurring. Even if the actual game designers did not avoid blurring, and in fact embraced it as some sort of hideous cure-all. ...which is why I'm making the mod.

I know it needs more detail, I'm just trying to figure out how to add it and make that even remotely passable to the...well, you can see how many other tiles. And even when that's done, I've got to be able to make versions with small cracks in them, and versions with /large/ cracks in them.

I'm not asking for that much out of you guys, obviously, but even if you could grab...any of those tiles, and give me somewhere to start on how to add more detail to that, I'd be muchly appreciative.

Edit: Should probably mention. Yes, I know it's pillowshaded. The light source is theoretically from the upperleft, sort of above. I'm really dreading even guessing how I'd handle that one without pillowshading right now.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:43:56 am by Banjooie »

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Walls, part of a tileset

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:27:34 pm
Basically, I think all you'd really have to do is to reshade it to account for the lightsource. Maybe add another 'lighter' shade to put on the brightest parts/parts closest to said source.

Also cracks or holes or dents in the pipes (are they pipes? they look like pipes at certain parts) also couldn't hurt.

Offline Banjooie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Walls, part of a tileset

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:43:54 pm
Yeah, that's sorta confusing the heck out of me, honestly. I've even pulled out a flash light and held it over my wallet--figuring hey, it has a border, but I've honestly got no clue.

What do I do there, do I give the upper left borders of tiles more brightness on a certain line than the lower right?

Actually, since you mention they look like pipes, I'd actually like to /roll/ with that. I thought they looked too flat for that, but hey, if you've got ideas on how I could make it look a little rounder--heck, it could even stick out a little more on the bottom tiles I guess....

I can't do cracks, because I have to do two sets that are basically identical to these but they have cracks of differing sizes. (Cracks mean 'breakable', sadly.)
I'mma try dents, I've redone a lot of this to make it look, uh, pipier.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:30:25 am by Banjooie »