AuthorTopic: [Rk] - New Mock up WIP  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

[Rk] - New Mock up WIP

on: January 20, 2009, 07:04:15 am
Ok so i am going to strt this new project and i would like your opinion on my daily updates:

SO far i did the rocks.. do they look gud?

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: [Rk] - New Mock up WIP

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:25:58 am
There's a few redundant shades in there (I count 13 colors, you could probably take it down to ten or less). Also, I think because of the peculiarly shaped highlights and the slight pinkness, they seem more like flower petals to me than rocks.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:32:35 am
There's a few redundant shades in there (I count 13 colors, you could probably take it down to ten or less). Also, I think because of the peculiarly shaped highlights and the slight pinkness, they seem more like flower petals to me than rocks.

any tips on how i should highlight? and can you copy the shades and circle which should be used and the others taken away :)
Thanks ill appreciate

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:57:01 pm
You seem to have a little problem with tiling there: you are making 24*22 tiles (which is quite odd) and putting them on a 23*21 grid.

this is a small edit showing you how to define the shapes of the stones a bit more. its a very tricky thing to do and you have to be carefull at selecting each shade for the different pixels. actually my try at it isnt perfect either but i hope you can learn something from it

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:52:44 pm
You seem to have a little problem with tiling there: you are making 24*22 tiles (which is quite odd) and putting them on a 23*21 grid.

this is a small edit showing you how to define the shapes of the stones a bit more. its a very tricky thing to do and you have to be carefull at selecting each shade for the different pixels. actually my try at it isnt perfect either but i hope you can learn something from it

Thanks i see it now and your's look way better and have an actually shape of rock..
This is the part that i always get stuck on creating shapes of rocks & grass
If you know any good tutorial that explains it Ill be glad to read

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 07:13:16 pm
It would benefit you a lot if you sketched in most of the elements on the level early on. This way it's easier to judge what kind of detail goes where. If you do an ubercool superdetailed rock pattern now, it might look too hard on the backround or sprites. Keeping everything under control is more important than a cool rock pattern.

Also taking a walk through the forest will be far better than a tutorial on the web i thinks  ;D

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:58:39 pm
It would benefit you a lot if you sketched in most of the elements on the level early on. This way it's easier to judge what kind of detail goes where. If you do an ubercool superdetailed rock pattern now, it might look too hard on the backround or sprites. Keeping everything under control is more important than a cool rock pattern.

Also taking a walk through the forest will be far better than a tutorial on the web i thinks  ;D

Thanks and u mean mostly like a hand sketch or a graphic sketch xD?

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 06:14:03 pm
Anything will do really as long as you have an overall battleplan. Just put in some colors without going into pixel detail right away to get a good mood going on in the level. Try not to get stuck into things. Sketch loose and fast. Like this you might end up finding something funky inside the mess. If it's hard to springboard the inspiration from what you currently have, think of something random, like bunnyhoodman in happyforest. Carrots to collect and so forth.... or whatever  :hehe:

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 07:51:14 pm
Anything will do really as long as you have an overall battleplan. Just put in some colors without going into pixel detail right away to get a good mood going on in the level. Try not to get stuck into things. Sketch loose and fast. Like this you might end up finding something funky inside the mess. If it's hard to springboard the inspiration from what you currently have, think of something random, like bunnyhoodman in happyforest. Carrots to collect and so forth.... or whatever  :hehe:

Thank you so i guess you're saying i just create a whole outline with base colors then i move on to shadings, dithering and etc.