AuthorTopic: [newbie]My first pixel art EVER! Come one come all to shoot down my dreams!  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Corridor

• View Profile

As stated, these are my first ever pieces done with pixels. I made 'em resized because that's how they'd look in VGA (I think). And yeah, it's just zero-content pseudo-anime crap, but those are fun to draw, and at the moment I'm just focused on getting the hang of the pixel-technique.

I know I screwed up on the lace shirt of the swashbuckler because someone I showed it to thought it was beadwork. Maybe it's too patterned...? And the rest of her shirt is just plain ol' white with an outline, I don't like that either. And some other stuff. I'm mostly not hating the first picture too much, at least not yet. But anyway. Tell me your opinions, list errors in shading or perspective or colour or whatever else you don't like, give advice on methods you've found useful, whatever. Be brutal! I'm a big girl, I can take it.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile
This forum has a zoom feature, easier to crit and edit at 1x.  Also, the image on the right looks like there are some jpeg artifacts, or something strange affecting the clarity.
The first image immediately reminded me of a Zora (Legend of Zelda).  Maybe add some white/near white highlights?

Offline Corridor

• View Profile
This forum has a zoom feature, easier to crit and edit at 1x.  Also, the image on the right looks like there are some jpeg artifacts, or something strange affecting the clarity.

Oh right, sorry. I'll keep the zoom thing in mind. I just meant that the given size is the one it was 'meant' to be viewed at. :blind:

The artifacts thing is due to me attempting to mess with shading methods and failing. I notice now that they really make the fringe area ugly.

The first image immediately reminded me of a Zora (Legend of Zelda).  Maybe add some white/near white highlights?

Will do, once others have posted more suggestions.

edited for formatting
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:47:31 am by Corridor »

Offline Ixis

• View Profile
    • Ixis' dA site
*Redies newbie shotgun*

lol, just kidding. I'm a newbie too. Ok then:

NOTE: I didn't do that great a job fixing up myself, but at least I got my point across.

Her head doesn't seem to be positioned correctly. Her chin seems to be parallel with her collarbone... Or maybe that three-pixel arrow under her neck is, but if that's the case her neck is far too long, and her face would be rotated the other way (chin pointing to the right.) Her hair seems to be flowing to the right, so I would position her head more to the right as well (the force of being pushed to the left and all that.) But then again, her hair splits to the left, so maybe her head should be rotated the other way. It was kind of hard to tell so I just drew it facing forward and straight (with a slight left drift.)

Next, make sure you choose a single light source and figure out how it's hitting the figure, etc.

Her right hand looked strange (the fingers pointing upwards, etc) so I overturned her hand and gave her a more sinister pose. It can be changed to anything however.

Oh, also it seemed like you were using a lot of colors that were similar to ones used, but off by a few values. It could be just how the image was rendered for the web (when I hit save for web on photoshop for example it mucks up my colors a bit.) Try using color conservation where possible, etc etc, basic stuff.

Overall I dig the character though, sweet ^_^ \m/

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile
Yors ->   <- Mine
Most of what I did was doodle on it  :crazy:.
It's past my normal bed time, so I'm not gonna make much sense, but bear with me (More like bare, like your mermaid hahaha):
First off, the close to the forehead the scalp line thing is, the less of a shadow it's gonna make since it's not as far away as the other parts The highlighted part on yours is really the part that should be the most in shadow up there.
Next up, that little line of darker color around your girl's hips, that's bad! It doesn't make it look round, and it doesn't make it smoother. No benefit at all. As a general rule of thumb, you should always have atleast a little bit of the primary color of a plane (in this case, the rest of the hips) reaching the edge of said plane.

And umm.. okay, I'm seriously dozing off here, so, I'm probably gonna have a lot more to say in the morning.
However: the lady is awesome and has serious stttyle, yes ma'am. Hope to see more from you seon.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Corridor

• View Profile
Firstly thanks for all the compliments, hope no one minds if I largely ignore it and just focus on the crits -

stuff about the head and hands
Her head is tilted downwards, and is facing the direction that her left hand is pointing. The eyes do actually line up at 90 degrees to the centre line of her face (from forehead to chin). You're right about the neck, I'll fix that later. But she is kinda keeping her neck/spine straight while she looks down, so I didn't want to bend it too much.

However the right hand was intentionally drawn palm-downward with fingers splayed back. Sort of an, um, 'mincing' pose, if you get me. It's possible to achieve it with your own hand (really, try it!). After taking your crit into consideration, I still like how it looks and don't think anything needs changing there.

Oh, also it seemed like you were using a lot of colors that were similar to ones used, but off by a few values. It could be just how the image was rendered for the web (when I hit save for web on photoshop for example it mucks up my colors a bit.) Try using color conservation where possible, etc etc, basic stuff.
How do you mean they were off by a few values? I tried to keep to similar shades when choosing the colours, but I didn't know how to do that exactly. Is there a specific value in the RBG pallette that determines this? I made this with Photoshop and not MSPaint, so there's a larger range to choose from (and more room for error, apparently).

You are also correct about the light sourcing, as is Sherman Gill (thank you SG for the handy editing job btw). I suck at them really hard. I did have a constant light source throughout (top left) but I just messed up my estimates of shadows a lot. I still think there should be a shadow cast on her right breast from her arm though. :p

(PS the 'mermaid' has got legs) :huh:

Offline Corridor

• View Profile
I do like how all the comments are on the naked one, btw.  :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
on the blue naked girl sprite, on the stretched leg and on other places, avoid banding!

Offline Corridor

• View Profile
HELM 21

Ahahahahaha you motherfucker, how long have you been hanging around here?

Dude, when I first started doing these things I remember thinking about the Pirate Scid you made like, YEARS ago. He was rockin'.

- Rhu <3

eeee

(okay I'll leave this thread alone now until I've done stuff on the thing)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Hello Rhubab. I've been here for... I'm not sure? Since 2001-2? Enjoy your stay in Pixelation :)

Offline mattpk

• Epic Fail Pixeler wee
    • View Profile
    • Google
Since noone talking about the second thing,

The second image is almost hard to tell if it is a female or male. it has a slim body like a female, and giant heada that seems too big for the body. there is also a bend in the cloth that makes it look like a breast... ?

Hey, you asked for tough critique!
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuu

D: