AuthorTopic: [WIP] Birthday Clown  (Read 3842 times)

Offline MadeyeMike

• View Profile

[WIP] Birthday Clown

on: February 16, 2008, 06:12:37 am
How can he look better?

Offline Ixis

• View Profile
    • Ixis' dA site

Re: [WIP] Birthday Clown

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:19:44 am
It looks like the balloons are dithered, but the clown isn't?

Most of your problems seem to come from basic anatomy issues. The sign could be more realistic too, check out this tut: http://pixel-zone.rpgdx.net/shtml/tutmini-wood.shtml

The hands are parallel with the camera, and so they look really flat. There's no real volume to the pants, the clown needs realistic shading, the position of his feet are off, the suspenders should contour to his body, his hair should be more random and less symmetrical, and the balloon strings need to be less randomly splayed and more realistically relax, ala gravity. Also use less basic/primary colors and mix it up with some desaturation.

Offline MadeyeMike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 06:29:34 am
It looks like the balloons are dithered, but the clown isn't?
I haven't shaded the clown yet.

Most of your problems seem to come from basic anatomy issues. The sign could be more realistic too, check out this tut: http://pixel-zone.rpgdx.net/shtml/tutmini-wood.shtml
The signs supposed to be cardboard. any tips you could give me with the anatomy?

The hands are parallel with the camera, and so they look really flat.
I had a lot of problems with the hands, I still need to add shading to them, but is there anything else I can do to make the, better?

There's no real volume to the pants, the clown needs realistic shading, the position of his feet are off,

I haven't shaded him yet. How can I fix the positions?

the suspenders should contour to his body,
wouldn't the oversized pants keep the suspenders away from his body?

his hair should be more random and less symmetrical,
alright. I'll work on that. are there any good tutorials for it?

and the balloon strings need to be less randomly splayed and more realistically relax, ala gravity.
So change the missle 3 strings?

Also use less basic/primary colors and mix it up with some desaturation.
the colors are just a basic stand in right now

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:34:24 pm
On the bright side, the balloons look good!

The wooden sign should be diversified a little. Make it a little imperfect. And the text on there should not be perfect either. It doesn't look right. Make it look like the clown painted it on there with a paintbrush.

Offline MadeyeMike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:29:49 pm

Hows the head?

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:00 pm
I love this idea, really neat. I love the dithering effect on your ballons. A few anatomy mistakes but it can all be fixed quickly. Besides its a clown right? Aren't they supposed to be goofy?  :lol:
I did a quick edit to show how the lighting from your balloons affects the lighting on your clown. I hope you learn a thing or 2 from this. Im not the big expert either so I'm editing based on what I know.